22-250...what barrel twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
    Personally I'd want to shoot heavies, like the 224 Valk, meaning 1:7 or 1:8 twist would be ideal. I'm sure more bullets will come along for the offering in the heavier class and the 22-250 will sling them out nicely!
    This is good advice. If you're going 1:9" you should really go 1:8". It will stabilize all heavy bullets except some 85+ grain stuff. You need to decide if you really want to shoot heavy bullets. If not, go slower.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
      Looking for recommenadtions on barrel twist for a 22-250.

1:9 or 1:12

Probably a 24-26” bull barrel that will be used for predator hunting.

You need to look into barrel contours and finished dimensions. A bull barrel or straight cylinder finished @ 26" will weigh 8.22 lbs. Add a BDL action and HS stock the bare rifle will weigh 13 lbs. ... pushing 14.5 lbs with optics.

I'd go with a 22" Sendero contour barrel which will weigh 4.44 lbs. Bare rifle will weigh 8.75-9 lbs

Comment

Start shooting over 52gr you might as well step up to a .243

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Start shooting over 52gr you might as well step up to a .243
          Ding ding ding

Comment

Dumb this down for me. Is the higher twist rate, say 1:9, going to make a bullet go slower no matter the bullet size than a 1:12? Would it be slower but more accurate?

Comment

All these threads about 22-250's really make me want one.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                Dumb this down for me. Is the higher twist rate, say 1:9, going to make a bullet go slower no matter the bullet size than a 1:12? Would it be slower but more accurate?
                The heavier, longer bullets shoot better with a faster twist. The short, light bullets will shoot better with a slower twist. The heavy bullets will be going slower, but not because of twist rate.

Comment

I shoot a 220 Swift with a 1:14 twist. I shoot from 36 gr up to 60 grain but rarely shoot 60's. My go to bullet most of the time is 55 grain.
                  It is just my opinion but these rifles were made for shooting smaller grain bullets at higher speeds with the 50-55 gr bullets being the sweet spot for the 22-250 and 220 Swift calibers.
                  It all depends on what you are using the rifle for but if it will be a dedicated varmint gun, I would recommend 1:12.

Comment

I really appreciate everyone’s response.

I do pretend to use it on predators, mainly. I know its capable of taking deer. But I have other rifles I can use for deer... And I wouldnt hesitate on taking a head shot on a hog either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      You need to look into barrel contours and finished dimensions. A bull barrel or straight cylinder finished @ 26" will weigh 8.22 lbs. Add a BDL action and HS stock the bare rifle will weigh 13 lbs. ... pushing 14.5 lbs with optics.
                      The .22-250 I have is made with an 8lb bbl. It's crazy how heavy it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                        I really appreciate everyone’s response.

I do pretend to use it on predators, mainly. I know its capable of taking deer. But I have other rifles I can use for deer... And I wouldnt hesitate on taking a head shot on a hog either.
                        What rifle are you looking to build? Or are you going to buy a factory one? If you have a Savage I have a 24 or 26” varmint barrel in 1:12 twist that I’m bout to take off to build a 260

Comment

Working...
                        X