First coyote in Menard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First coyote in Menard

I got to Menard around 7:30 on Sunday evening and wanted to make a quick round to all the feeders to see if they needed anything before I went to town to get corn in the morning. After checking my last feeder I was headed back to camp and something stood up in the road. At first I thought it was a fawn but after it turn broadside I seen it was a Yote. I put the 22 out the window of the truck and shot her. She took off into the brush and not having a flash light I figured I would go find her in the morning. After finding her the next day I realized she was just a big pup. All in all a great trip with 1 yote, 3 coons and a rattlesnake that got way to close for comfort.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E5FAD64B-3054-4B66-BA6E-697F02578141.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	25153506

My buddy who used to hunt there told me they have a $50 bounty in Menard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I heard a pretty large pack three weeks ago close to the house. We have owned our place on the east side of the county for 28 years and have never seen one in person. I see tracks and some of the neighbors catch them in snares. Good job being ready to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
        My buddy who used to hunt there told me they have a $50 bounty in Menard

It is $75 but by time I got her she was stinking and would have to wait until the next day to take it to town. So I just missed out on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
          I heard a pretty large pack three weeks ago close to the house. We have owned our place on the east side of the county for 28 years and have never seen one in person. I see tracks and some of the neighbors catch them in snares. Good job being ready to shoot.
          We are at the county line between Menard and Eden. I have been catching several on trail cams along with bobcats. This only make the second one to see in the last 7 years.

Comment

We’ve only had one on cam since January and none since. Lots of coons though

Comment

$75 a coyote? Dang.....no wonder nobody sees them. They're dead.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Most resilient predator just about "anywhere." They are sporadic around our lease at Robert Lee, but we also have lions in the area. Had a GW tell me 2 years ago that they will move their range if a lion is active? We did not hear much noise this past season but also had a momma lion and 2 cubs "verified" in our immediate area.

Killers for sure...take 'em out! Fawns will appreciate your effort...

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                    It is $75 but by time I got her she was stinking and would have to wait until the next day to take it to town. So I just missed out on this one.
                    Congrats Wil and thanks for taking it out (good shooting too).

When trying to turn one in for the bounty I was told you have to have land owner signed up for the program or something like that.

Have you ever tried to make good on the $75?

I get bobcats and foxes on the windmill stand camera that I could easily turn into corn money. They are quite regular over there, probably due to the tank being nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Congrats Wil and thanks for taking it out (good shooting too).

When trying to turn one in for the bounty I was told you have to have land owner signed up for the program or something like that.

Have you ever tried to make good on the $75?

I get bobcats and foxes on the windmill stand camera that I could easily turn into corn money. They are quite regular over there, probably due to the tank being nearby.
                      Got to take the whole animal to Compton’s or Kothmann’s and they will do the paper work. Whitehead ranch is on the list so we are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                        Got to take the whole animal to Compton’s or Kothmann’s and they will do the paper work. Whitehead ranch is on the list so we are good.
                        Good deal, do foxes make the list?

I've let them walk before, but I'm afraid my compassion might be purchased for $75.00.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          $75 a coyote? Dang.....no wonder nobody sees them. They're dead.

[emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I have been hunting in Schleicher county off FM2084 for over 20 years and have never heard or seen a coyote out there. Wife's grandfather said with all the goat/sheep ranchers out there, they put a bounty on em years ago and wiped em all out. Sounds like they may be starting to slowly creep back into the area.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                              I have been hunting in Schleicher county off FM2084 for over 20 years and have never heard or seen a coyote out there. Wife's grandfather said with all the goat/sheep ranchers out there, they put a bounty on em years ago and wiped em all out. Sounds like they may be starting to slowly creep back into the area.

We here them light up at dark on our place pretty regularly. The ranchers set snares along the fence lines but I’ve never seen a yote hung up in one.

Comment

Working...
                              X