It Has Started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Has Started!

Went to my hunting place and filled feeders and put out cams. I'll give it a week or so and head back with my weed eater to clean up some weed growth, and bring a ladder stand in to re-build the platform which is showing the results of about 5 years in the weather. Got to replace the platform on a home-built triod too, but not sure if I'll haul it home or try to do it in the field.

My friend/landowner runs an ag supply company and he gave me a couple of bags of mixed corn/roasted soybeans too so we'll see how that suits the deer palates.

Just hope it isn't this hot come opening day!

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Went to my hunting place and filled feeders and put out cams. I'll give it a week or so and head back with my weed eater to clean up some weed growth, and bring a ladder stand in to re-build the platform which is showing the results of about 5 years in the weather. Got to replace the platform on a home-built triod too, but not sure if I'll haul it home or try to do it in the field.

My friend/landowner runs an ag supply company and he gave me a couple of bags of mixed corn/roasted soybeans too so we'll see how that suits the deer palates.

It won't be, but by then we'll be over this hot weather and we'll complain about 85* temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      It won't be, but by then we'll be over this hot weather and we'll complain about 85* temps.
      So true

Comment

I would still rather be sitting on-stand with sweat dripping off my nose than most other things--

Comment

Trying to get some of my lease partners to make a run. Thinking about going solo. Did that a couple of times and it was pretty cool.

Comment

It started for me last weekend! Got my feeders going and the cameras all set up. It was fun but a little hard to get real excited when it's 100 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got mine going 2 weeks ago. Thank god it was only 93.

Comment

Yep. Time to get out there and get set up. I actually saw a lot of trucks heading South with beds loaded down with corn and trailers loaded with feeders and blinds on the drive back home. Got cams set up and seed baskets full and topped off feeders. All done by 09:00 in the morning. Left the casa at 03:00. That's the only way to do it in South Texas. It's usually close to 100 by noon and about 106 till about 17:00.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Muddy Bud; 07-28-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Need to go get everything started at the lease in Nacodoches...but that red clay adds 20 degrees to the temp and it gets unbearable.

Comment

Got my feeders and camera's up this weekend and did some trimming. Was up and working by 6 both mornings and was drenched by 6:05. It was dang HOT in E. Texas this weekend.

Comment

I'll be out on wednesday for the week, got an 8 foot water trough to reseal, 2000 gallons of water to move and shooting lanes to clear. I plan to work in the mornings and float/fish the river in the afternoon.

Comment

Went yesterday and got 2 of my local feeders spinning. Now to get the other 2 going on the other place. Cameras out too, cant wait to see what they show!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Dustoffer, I've been feeding the corn/roasted soybeans for a while and the deer love it on my lease. Give it a try and let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                            Dustoffer, I've been feeding the corn/roasted soybeans for a while and the deer love it on my lease. Give it a try and let me know.
                            Will do--I'll only run them at one spot and compare visitors with the corn-only spots.

Comment

Working...
                            X