No announcement yet.

Carrying Handgun On Airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just use a cheap plastic case from Academy that you can padlock. Bought TSA padlocks from Wally World. No need to go to any extremes.

Comment

fyi if your gun case has place for multiple locks they must all have locks. ive always put zip ty on other lock. last time I went thru they made me go buy some little girl diary locks to fill the other holes.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        I would get a pelican and put my own master lock on it or 2. Declare it when you check in, lock it back up, go get the case swiped for explosives, and be on your way.
        This. You want something even a determined baggage handler cannot break into. Those little dinky cases with TSA approved locks have a habit of showing up empty.

Comment

I travel a great deal and carry wherever permissible by state law. It takes just a few extra minutes to get through ticketing but its generally smooth. Denver and Atlanta are the only 2 places i have had significant hold ups.

I use this kind of case. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gunv...ck&N=838464442

I bought the GameWinner brand and it was less expensive. Its small so doesent take a great deal of room and comes with a cable so i can secure it in my hotel room if need be.

I would suggest this one.

Similar design but combo lock. Would really suck if you lost your keys on the trip and could not get the gun in or out of the "safe".

FYI remeber to pack you ammo separate from the weapon. I never really understood why, but who can find logic in much of what TSA does

Comment

Thanks Playa. The one from Academy looks good! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
              I recommend just shoving it down your pants. I wouldn't want to check such a thing, and they'll never notice.
              That's great! Be nice to ElkDude!

Comment

Might want to check on the locks. I am flying to Vegas with my shotgun in October. I've done quite a bit of checking with the airline and have read and been told NOT to put TSA locks on a gun case. I will just buy some small non TSA locks for the trip.

Dave

Comment

Pelican is all I use. Never had any issues and they are built to last.

Comment

I bought a small Pelican case at Academy - it was pricey but very sturdy and has quality foam - it is just big enough to fit a full size 1911 but doesn't take up all the room in my checked bag

would also add that the gun safe style boxes previously recommended might not be great for airline travel unless you plan on stuffing with foam/clothes to keep your weapon from getting bashed around in there
                    Last edited by JBT; 09-11-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Pelican

Comment

I've always just used the case the handgun came in. Just make sure you have a TSA lock on it or they'll call you all the way back down to the ticketing counter from your gate to open it.... It happened to me the first time. Also, make sure you fill out a new declaration to put in the case each time you fly.. Made that mistake too.

Comment

Originally posted by JBT View Post
                          I bought a small Pelican case at Academy - it was pricey but very sturdy and has quality foam - it is just big enough to fit a full size 1911 but doesn't take up all the room in my checked bag

would also add that the gun safe style boxes previously recommended might not be great for airline travel unless you plan on stuffing with foam/clothes to keep your weapon from getting bashed around in there
                          I assume you are referencing "safes" like the ones I linked to. I've never had an issue with my pistol banging around in it, in fact it never moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            I assume you are referencing "safes" like the ones I linked to. I've never had an issue with my pistol banging around in it, in fact it never moves.
                            you have better luck with checked bags than me I guess - seriously though wasn't taking a shot at you if it works for you great

Comment

Originally posted by JBT View Post
                              you have better luck with checked bags than me I guess - seriously though wasn't taking a shot at you if it works for you great
                              I didn't take it as a shot at me, I was injecting my 1st hand experience. Generally I fly from one small airport to another, so there is at least 4 baggage handling instances on most of my flights. Yes the safe moves in my bag, but my pistol doesn't move. A scoped gun might get knocked off alignment, but i don't think open sight pistol would

Comment

I've always used a pelican case, the standard 1500 will work for most normal sized handguns. Get 2 locks, the biggest that will fit in the locking holes. Personally, I use combination locks because I don't like messing with keys when I'm not driving... Flown all over with all manner of pistolas without a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X