How to sub out a pool build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to sub out a pool build?

I didn't want to muddy up another guys thread so thought I'd make a new one. For those of you who've built your pool yourself (not hiring a company to build the entire thing) by subbing out each different "job", how did you find sub-contractors & do you regret doing it yourself? Any tips on making it go smoother? Did you have to pay cash or were you able to finance it the same way as you do a regular pool build? Thanks!

Unless you know the subs and process intimately, I'd pay to have someone run it that does. I GC'd the build of my home, but I let the pool guys handle the pool.

Comment

I did the same as CJ but after having one built I think I would do the next one myself. As for finding subs, find pools being built and ask the subs or get the names off there vehicles. As with building a house each sub knows another sub doing a different craft.

Comment

Good luck, subs here are special to say the least.

Comment

I built my last one....was pretty easy really, only need about 4 subs. I did pay cash for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            I built my last one....was pretty easy really, only need about 4 subs. I did pay cash for mine.
            Did the same after having a few others built and having all the subs which came from Dallas except the electrician which isn't hard to find. There are a few issues to figure out on equipment and plumbing which the plumber should know. I'm already in construction and wouldn't consider doing it if I had to warranty it though.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
              I didn't want to muddy up another guys thread so thought I'd make a new one. For those of you who've built your pool yourself (not hiring a company to build the entire thing) by subbing out each different "job", how did you find sub-contractors & do you regret doing it yourself? Any tips on making it go smoother? Did you have to pay cash or were you able to finance it the same way as you do a regular pool build? Thanks!
              Where are you located ? I can give you reputable subs if you are in DFW or Austin area, you can save a little money but it may or may not be worth it.

Comment

I built mine a couple years ago. I'm not sure if I saved any money honestly. I think the subs charged me retail knowing I had no relationship with any subs or other builds. I did pay cash and that got some of them down.

Once I started sub shopping and calling many gave references of all trades. Its actually a small network. All those guys know each other.

I have list of guys I used here in DFW if you want them.

I will say I saved time. I built a 30k gallon pool with spa in 27 days start to finish. All pool guys were bidding and telling us 3 to 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                  Where are you located ? I can give you reputable subs if you are in DFW or Austin area, you can save a little money but it may or may not be worth it.
                  Everything I've been reading is that I can save 25%+. I got 4 bids for the pool we want so I'll know if it'll be worth it or not after I get bids from the sub's. How did you find the sub's you used?
                  I'm in Waxahachie so I don't know if the sub's you used would come down here or not but I'll take their contact info!
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                    I built mine a couple years ago. I'm not sure if I saved any money honestly. I think the subs charged me retail knowing I had no relationship with any subs or other builds. I did pay cash and that got some of them down.

Once I started sub shopping and calling many gave references of all trades. Its actually a small network. All those guys know each other.

I have list of guys I used here in DFW if you want them.

I will say I saved time. I built a 30k gallon pool with spa in 27 days start to finish. All pool guys were bidding and telling us 3 to 4 months.
                    I'm down in Waxahachie & not sure if your sub's will come this far but I'll take their contact info & see. Thanks!

Comment

Pm me for Gunite

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                        Everything I've been reading is that I can save 25%+. I got 4 bids for the pool we want so I'll know if it'll be worth it or not after I get bids from the sub's. How did you find the sub's you used?
                        I'm in Waxahachie so I don't know if the sub's you used would come down here or not but I'll take their contact info!
                        Thanks.
                        Prestige Gunite will come to Waxahachie, they could probably give you a list of subs who work down there, I pretty much stay in Fort Worth and Dallas north.

Comment

Working...
                        X