New tire settling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tire settling?

About how long does it normally take to settle in new tires?

So I put 2 new back tires on my wife’s 07 4Runner last week. Made a 700+ mile trip to her sisters in Mississippi and now the tires have about 850-900 miles on them. On the way to MS, I noticed that the car would road walk real bad and especially if it caught the yellow or white line it would get squirly. Wife drove it to town yesterday and today and says that it still is all over the place. Last night I checked the tire pressures and set them at 40psi (tire max is 44). I figured it was just the tires need to settle but figured they would have done that by now. Will be checking front end components tonite. Need to pull my ranger this weekend but it won’t be pretty with it acting like this. Steering seems tight going down the road but you can feel the car fight you everynow and then like there is some sort of computer controlled steering influence.

I did notice a slight vibration in the steering when I took it to Discount tire, I asked them to balance the front tires which they did not because the weights and rims still have the brake dust on them and no handling marks from someone picking up the tires and mounting them. I have not noticed the vibration in the steering any after the service at discount tire.
    Last edited by BBReezen; 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM.

I would be paying a visit to discount tire, should have zero road wondering issues from the start.

Comment

never heard of 'tire-settling' but you would think they would be, long before 700 mi.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        never heard of 'tire-settling' but you would think they would be, long before 700 mi.
        x2

Comment

I had 35" BFG tires which took about 100 miles to feel normal. I switched to Goodyear Duratracs, and they are much more squirrel-ly than the BFG's ever were. I attribute that to a much more aggressive, better off road tread. It's softer rubber, and way better off road. What I am getting at, some tires never stop being squirrel-ly, they are designed that way.

You might check to see if the rubber composition of the tire changed, or make sure you have 4 of the same tires.

Comment

Being an 07, not sure on the miles but could possibly be some front end wear/tear if you had put em on the front. Alignment, tie rods, ball joints can cause these issues also. A new set of tires that aren't worn into those issues could really amplify the walking.

Comment

About 30 seconds or less.

Comment

All terrain tires? I dont usually notice it with all terrains but mud tires or tires that have large block tread will do it for a few thousand miles. My nitto trails seemed to take about 4-5k to settle in, but they are over sized and wider wheels than stock. The mud graps i had never seemed to settle in, the all terrains i put on my wifes Tahoe did it for about 200 miles or so.

Sometimes running a lower air pressure can help to get it off the center ridge of the new tires, then air up later. Sometimes newer tires ride that center ridge a little more than some, as it always seems the center of certain tires wears faster than others from being aired up to much or on a narrower wheel.
                Last edited by KDinTX; 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Had the same trouble with discount tires. Had them put new pressure sensors in tires that had about 25k on them. Truck drove fine before. Told them to balance the tires. Well they didn't. Took it back to them and they rebalanced them. Took the truck in to check alignment and it was perfect. Took back to discount tires and they were all out of balance. Talked to the tech that did the balancing and he told me they just set the balancer to a rough tolerance. He said he took it down to minimum tolerance. Truck has less vibration now but not like it was when I took it in the first time. I am about done with our store even if I have to pay more to have a professional do it. Three trips just to get done right.

Comment

Too much air. I bet if you watch your tracks coming out of a water puddle you are just riding on the center of the tread.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      About 30 seconds or less.
                      X2

Comment

I bought pair of tires for the back of my F250 form Discount that walked so bad I couldn't go over 50 Mph. I took them right back. They called it "tread sway" and said it happens sometime. They promptly traded them out for a more expensive option at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Too much air. I bet if you watch your tracks coming out of a water puddle you are just riding on the center of the tread.
                          agreed, he did say 44 Psi ... lol

Comment

Sounds like you have front end issues, discount tires will not inspect any of your front end components. Jack it up and try rocking your front tires top to bottom if much movement then you need work done.

Comment

now are we talking about settling or squatting? We used to have trouble with squatters on our land when the tires starting settling in our area

Comment

Working...
                              X