No announcement yet.

Workplace pressure and problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife teaches 3rd grade, which is also the first year kids take that exam, and it's absolutely ridiculous. Hell they're gonna rubber-stamp these kids on through anyway so why bother??

The **** state is more worried about pandering to the lowest common denominator and their whining, no responsibility-taking parents anymore, not actually giving an education.

It's pathetic. The whole stinkin' system ins broken. But, hey, no child gets left behind though, right?

Comment

My year was focused around the TAAS test. Same then as now. Seems like a bigger deal made by people about it. I think that adds to the stress.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        Yep, but it also wasn't the focus of our educational year. Like you said, it wasn't a big deal. This test is made into a HUGE ordeal. It is worse than Finals in college with all the emphasis they put on it. When we were in school they didn't give us free breakfast at McDonald's because it was test day. It was just another test, as it should be. Shouldn't be all over the news and jobs shouldn't be tied to it
        My kids say there is not much pressure in their district. I am sure this varies across the state.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
          Never heard of it, but I did live in a different state back then so if it was a Texas thing then I never took it.
          It was a Texas thing. All teachers had to pass it as well to keep their license. Our football coach failed it 14 times. Statewide it had a failure rate for teachers of about 20%.

I passed it as a freshman only missing 2 Trig questions........and I had not even taken any of those classes. It was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            Problem is everyone thinking there is single way for everybody. Every kid is different and reacts differently.

I have a kid that will ace it without having to try. I have a kid that will work and do very well. I have a kid that will get good grades all year and suffer during every test she takes.

Kids need to be disciplined differently. They also need to be taught according to how they learn.
            These issues should be dealt with at home and not at school.

Kids don't like to be labeled "special" at school.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              My kids say there is not much pressure in their district. I am sure this varies across the state.
              its all they talk about up here.

Comment

I have a kid in the 7th grade and am about to turn 40 and went through Texas public school myself.

I understand the whole argument against "common core" crap and the "need" to change how they teach something, or that all students have to learn 10 different ways to add so they cover all the bases. That one boggles my mind.

What I don't understand is all the angst about standardized testing. STARR or the concept isn't anything new folks. It was TAKs and TEKs and all that jazz back in the day. I don't remember there being a huge "uggh" about it other than it was just annoying. What exactly is wrong with having checkpoints to see if your kid needs additional help in the next grade?

If teachers are stressing over it... they are doing so at a disservice to their students. Just my opinion. My teachers back in the day never stressed out about administering tests... they just coached us how to get through it. There are plenty of things I learned from having to go into a setting and I'm either going to "pass" or "fail"... you know, like a job interview... or a speaking engagement in front of customers, etc. Dealing with stress is a "life skill" too!
                Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                  These issues should be dealt with at home and not at school.

Kids don't like to be labeled "special" at school.
                  I disagree - has nothing to do with being "special". Kids learn and process differently. Scientifically proven.

Comment

This thread is a great argument for private schools, home schooling, and a voucher system. The public school system is badly broken in every way. Teachers aren't to blame. I feel very sorry for all the great teachers who wish the system they are in wasn't so screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                      Lol you made at seem as if a teacher could get a jail sentence for making a mistake administering the test. Not knowingly altering documents.
                      That was my take as well... he clarified.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

I understand the whole "common core" crap
                        Had to stop reading after this line....

No one understands common core.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          Had to stop reading after this line....

No one understands common core.
                          Ha! Just reread that... I meant I understand why people are up in arms about common core.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                            Very true. Once they are "labeled" they can do whatever they want without any consequence. Every teachers/students nightmare for sure.

I can remember my old man laughing his *** off while signing the yes or no approval slip for swats in middle school.

"Swing Away!!!"

Had to fix one word for you. I bet every single teacher has at least one disruptive kid in their class that they can do nothing about. Talking about elementary school here.

Comment

way back in 1965 we had real school Math history English typing and ag
                              and no Government required test and each teacher had the board of education
                              that was applied to the seat of learning every day if you needed that kind of education

Comment

My wife has 3 boys in her class that she can do nothing with. One has physically turned over tables and thrown chair in the classroom. She calls for help and they take the child to the office and he sits there most of the day. He may or may not do some of his classwork during that time. He will be back in her class by the end of the day. The good kids that are trying to learn miss out on her teaching because she has to deal with the problem children during her class time. Rumor has it that next years class is worse. I haven't even start on the parent conferences she goes through. You would be amazed at some of the parents and situations at home she has to deal with.

On top of all this, they want her to get her classes ready to pass the STAAR test. Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X