Budget Thumb Release Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Thumb Release Recommendations

Been reading alot about the thumb releases on here and I really want to try one out. I am currently shooting a TruFire Hardcore index release with a Scott Silverhorn as a backup. It seems the majority of folks on here recommend Carter releases. I am just afraid to spend that kind of money and it not be for me. Unfortunately our little shop here doesn't carry any thumb releases for me to try. I have looked at the TruBall Max Pro, TruFire Edge, and TruBall Fang for the less expensive models.

What do you guys recommend? Also for a large person do you recommend 3 or 4 fingers?

I have a tru ball that I used before I bought a Carter. I'll sell it for $50. It's a 4 finger release. Bought it from a tbh'r to make sure that I liked the thumb releases.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
      I have a tru ball that I used before I bought a Carter. I'll sell it for $50. It's a 4 finger release. Bought it from a tbh'r to make sure that I liked the thumb releases.
      Which one is it? Can you text me 936-240-9889?

Comment

I have a Truball Sabertooth that i really like. It has been discontinued but the Fang model looks fairly close. I have not used the Fang though.

Comment

What shop are you using? The bad part about thumb releases IMO is if you go cheap you will not get the quality product you need to execute a hand held release properly. The adjustments and crispness are just not there in the sub $100 range releases (Again imo). There are several really nice releases in the $150 range, and you can pick up some really nice ones used for sale. I personally shoot Hot Shot, but as you mention there are many other great releases.

If you can try to shoot many different ones. I know this will be hard given your location. To shoot this type of release correctly you need a release that fits you ergonomically and your shot execution as well. We all fire our releases a little different.

Comment

A slightly used Carter can sell for $170. They are $200 new. You would be hard pressed to find a better release than a Carter, so a $30 trial run is not crazy expensive. But, if you don’t want to do that I can understand. I just know from experience that using a cheap thumb release can lead you to believe they just won’t work for you when all you need is a better release to allow for proper shot execution.

Comment

I shoot a truball fang 3 finger and love it. I also had a 4 but didn't like 4 finger as much. I have bought, sold, and tried several other releases and keep going back to the fang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Your release is the one thing between you and your bow. Cheap don’t cut it.

Comment

This is what I have. Works great, easy to reset it. What I learned is some thumb release are longer from the back to the loop than others. This is the shortest one, so you’re anchor point does not move rearwards on your face.

Buy it on amazon, try it and send back if you don’t like it.

I replaced the wrist strap with one I made from paracord. I posted before in the DIY section on TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What did you decide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
                      What shop are you using? The bad part about thumb releases IMO is if you go cheap you will not get the quality product you need to execute a hand held release properly. The adjustments and crispness are just not there in the sub $100 range releases (Again imo). There are several really nice releases in the $150 range, and you can pick up some really nice ones used for sale. I personally shoot Hot Shot, but as you mention there are many other great releases.

If you can try to shoot many different ones. I know this will be hard given your location. To shoot this type of release correctly you need a release that fits you ergonomically and your shot execution as well. We all fire our releases a little different.

Listen to this guy

Comment

Working...
                      X