DIY Rice Bran Gravity Feder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Rice Bran Gravity Feder

Got a tip that rice Bran works really well in my area. (Hill country)

I decided to build a little gravity feeder so I can try it out. I plan on mixing a little corn with it to keep it from clumping up.

I used a 5 gallon galavinized bucket and an 18 inch orange caution cone.

The cone is pliable and durable so it should allow for some pushing around.

I plan to hang it from a feeder leg so when the pile is low they can push the cone around and more flows out.

It will be hung inside a feeder pen to keep the hogs off it.

Build cost me $40

I figure it'll hold about 50 pounds?
    Attached Files

Nice! What keeps it from it all falling out from the cone?

Comment

Cool
      Idea.
      Are your legs staked down?

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
        Nice! What keeps it from it all falling out from the cone?
        It will be positioned 3 or so inches above the ground.

Will have to see exactly how high once I fill and install it.

The pile under the cone will keep it from all flowing out. Kinda like the homemade pvc gravity feeders you see people make.

Google Bran bag feeder, same concept.

I built this versus buying that because I saw no way that bag would survive the coons.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
          Cool
          Idea.
          Are your legs staked down?
          16 feet long 2 inch square box tubing with winch up feeder.

Comment

Man, rice bran is hard to get to gravity feed with a swaged down, concentric outlet. I've tried and no matter how big the opening, the rice bran would bridge off. Now, maybe the flexible cone will be the ticket. I do know of a fellow who has developed a timed rice bran feeder that works perfectly, but there were several attempts before finally finding one that didn't bridge off. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Good job, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
              Man, rice bran is hard to get to gravity feed with a swaged down, concentric outlet. I've tried and no matter how big the opening, the rice bran would bridge off. Now, maybe the flexible cone will be the ticket. I do know of a fellow who has developed a timed rice bran feeder that works perfectly, but there were several attempts before finally finding one that didn't bridge off. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Good job, BTW.
              Good to know, I plan to trim the opening wider when I install. And I hope to find a good consistency with corn to keep it from bridging.

Main goal is to get them use to it in the area so I can "hand Bran" when I hunt the blind and it doesn't spook everything

Comment

More info on the timed feeder please.

Comment

I use rice bran pellets with the hammer timed feeder with v an internal funnel and it flowed and the deer tore it up as much as the rice bran meal.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                    More info on the timed feeder please.
                    Not my deal....PM coming.

Comment

After thinking through your comment I am going to add a round plate (that has some weight to it) to the inside of the bucket, it will be the same diameter of the bottom of the bucket.

The plate will go on top of the Bran inside the bucket after Ive filled the feeder and will help to push the Bran down as the supply diminishes.

Comment

Feeder installed. Will report back after I get back out there. There is a plate inside the bucket with a 2.5 pound weight on top to help push the Bran down.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm wondering if you get a **** floater will it swell up the rice bran and cake up in the cone?

I guess we will find out. We've got a **** floater coming in a few days.

Comment

any updates on how the feeder is working out ?

Comment

Good idea, I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                              X