Any HAM radio guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any HAM radio guys?

Got interested a few months ago for various reasons. Been studying off and on and taking the online practice tests. Take the test tomorrow afternoon here in kingwood. Been making 90s on the practice tests so feel pretty good.

Looking to get a mobile unit to set up as a semi-permanent base at my place in Centerville. I've got a couple repeaters that I should be able to reach with a decent antenna (one near crockett, one in Centerville).

Picked up a couple Baofeng 8watt HTs just to play around with. Seems like a cool hobby that could come in real handy when the Lonestar/EBT cards get shut off and the zombies start moving out of the cities. Already made contact with a few HAMS on my private road.

Here's the Baofengs. Got extended batteries and better antennas.

Nagoya antennas:

I love ham.

And bacon.

Comment

Breaker one nine you got a copy rubber duck?

If you know Stoufer (sp) out in D5 hes and operator.

And I like a good spiral cut ham also

Comment

I enjoy it and have a few setup. For the money, the Baofeng can't be beat. One of mine is fitted with a coax-antenna adapter, Kenwood handheld mic and a linear (mobile). In the shop is a small Kenwood attached to my dad's old 500 watt tube amp.

It is fun and can become addictive quick. Good luck on your exam and if you are ever in the market for an amp, let me know

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Breaker one nine you got a copy rubber duck? That's CB dufus. No FCC license required on the retard channels.

If you know Stoufer (sp) out in D5 hes and operator. Is he a sgt.? I barely know him. Matt Stouffer I think.

And I like a good spiral cut ham also

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
            I enjoy it and have a few setup. For the money, the Baofeng can't be beat. One of mine is fitted with a coax-antenna adapter, Kenwood handheld mic and a linear (mobile). In the shop is a small Kenwood attached to my dad's old 500 watt tube amp.

l
            I bought one of the adaptors. Gonna look into a pvc type antenna I can throw up over a tree limb or something.

Comment

You can even contact the ISS with them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Dang, resorting to name calling on a Friday! And I knew that was CB. I had enough watts back in the day to clear out the sonic drive thru orders and talk over eckerds in store PA. [emoji3]

Yeah, Matt. I don't know him but his cohorts tell me he's into it

Comment

W5AJF is my radio call sign. I took the test many moons ago and we use them from time to time. I have one mounted in my truck and dad uses a handheld and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                    W5AJF is my radio call sign. I took the test many moons ago and we use them from time to time. I have one mounted in my truck and dad uses a handheld and it works great.
                    Looks like you got a vanity callsign. Easier to remember. [emoji1]

Nos narro pro silentium

Comment

Back in the "GOOD OL DAYS" we had to have a license for CB's.

Comment

I have a cousin that is obsessed with this. He built all kids of big towers in his yard so he could talk to people around the world. Ham radio is its own culture for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Looks like you got a vanity callsign. Easier to remember. [emoji1]
                          Yep... also have it as my license plate. Cost 5 bucks for custom radio operator plates.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                            Yep... also have it as my license plate. Cost 5 bucks for custom radio operator plates.
                            Can you hit the saltgrass repeater from home? I think it's downtown on the Chase skyscraper.

Comment

W5DCB is my call sign

Comment

Working...
                              X