No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just added an Apex xq50 to the arsenal from Jason at Outdoors Legacy. I have been behind a $5k 640 resolution Armasight before, so I had tempered my expectations.

All I can saw is WOW. The image is so sharp and clear its unbelievable. The crosshairs were nice and fine, with plenty to choose from. Battery life seems good so far. I still cant get over the clarity (granted it was a nice cool dry night). The detail you could see was awesome. Even far away. Seeing it in person is soo much better than a youtube or even watching a recorded video stream. This was also the first "screen" type optic that was easy on my eyes (have a Photon from Jason as well).

Can't wait to get it sighted in.

If anyone is on the fence about one of these....try to look through one in person...it will seal the deal.

Comment

How well does the "three different zero" function work on the Pulsars? Based on what I read on their website they definitely lead you to believe you can swap it from gun to gun. I sure would think that even if you put it in the same rail slot every time you would still have a little variation, mainly left to right, depending on how you tighten them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        How well does the "three different zero" function work on the Pulsars? Based on what I read on their website they definitely lead you to believe you can swap it from gun to gun. I sure would think that even if you put it in the same rail slot every time you would still have a little variation, mainly left to right, depending on how you tighten them down.
        QD mounts tighten the same. It holds zero every time.
        On my american defense scope mounts and my armasight thermal scopes (also have american defense) I've taken them on and off countless times over a year or so and they hold zero fine.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
          QD mounts tighten the same. It holds zero every time.
          On my american defense scope mounts and my armasight thermal scopes (also have american defense) I've taken them on and off countless times over a year or so and they hold zero fine.
          Good to hear. Quick question. When you say QD I assume that is quick disconnect. Is yours similar to a clamping leaver or is it a nut and bolt? Mine on my pulsar 750 is a nut and bolt style clamping and I am a little weary of transferring it gun to gun based on not having consistant clamping force on the nut. If it was the leaver type you could set it to the width of the rail and not mess with it so in theory it has the same clamping force on it. I am probably worrying about this too much.......

Comment

Good to hear. Quick question. When you say QD I assume that is quick disconnect. Is yours similar to a clamping leaver or is it a nut and bolt? Mine on my pulsar 750 is a nut and bolt style clamping and I am a little weary of transferring it gun to gun based on not having consistant clamping force on the nut. If it was the leaver type you could set it to the width of the rail and not mess with it so in theory it has the same clamping force on it. I am probably worrying about this too much.......

Yes quick detach. And yes a lever type. I was assuming you had scope that had a quick detach mount. ZRO delta makes a QD Mount for those I believe.

Comment

Keaton is correct. I haven't noticed any poi shift taking off and on for 200 yards shots. None that I've noticed anyhow. American defense with the lever locks. Works well.

Comment

The only QD system for thermal scopes that I trust between different-spec rails on different guns is the ZRODELTA DLOC. It’s the only one whose design overcomes this problem.

Comment

This guy does some pretty good reviews of scopes and gear for night hunting. Here’s his video on the QD mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                    Just added an Apex xq50 to the arsenal from Jason at Outdoors Legacy. I have been behind a $5k 640 resolution Armasight before, so I had tempered my expectations.

All I can saw is WOW. The image is so sharp and clear its unbelievable. The crosshairs were nice and fine, with plenty to choose from. Battery life seems good so far. I still cant get over the clarity (granted it was a nice cool dry night). The detail you could see was awesome. Even far away. Seeing it in person is soo much better than a youtube or even watching a recorded video stream. This was also the first "screen" type optic that was easy on my eyes (have a Photon from Jason as well).

Can't wait to get it sighted in.

If anyone is on the fence about one of these....try to look through one in person...it will seal the deal.

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy, I really appreciate it!

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      The only QD system for thermal scopes that I trust between different-spec rails on different guns is the ZRODELTA DLOC. It’s the only one whose design overcomes this problem.
                      Here are my opinions on QD mounts for what it's worth. I take my NV scopes off and on my rifles multiple times a week, sometimes multiple times a day. There are all kinds of reasons but they range from swapping scopes between rifles, showing the scope to a customer or friend, removing the scope to take it to my computer to pull video off and the list goes on and on.

With that said, I have used the Sightmark QD rings, various one piece QD mounts, the FLIR American Defense QD mount, the long Pulsar mount with thumb screws, the long Pulsar mount with 2 QD levers, the new small Pulsar single lever QD mount, the DLOC and I'm sure a few more that I can't think of right now. At the end of the day, I have never, not one time, had an issue of a scope returning to zero. I don't even consider it anymore.

I have an older customer who is very meticulous and when the new small Pulsar QD mounts were released he told me he didn't believe they were going to return to zero and he was very concerned about this because he planned to swap the Pulsar Trail XQ38 he was buying between rifles. I got him the scope and the new QD mount and he went to work testing it. I'll be honest, I was nervous. The mounts were brand new, he was going into the test looking for it to fail and I was afraid he'd find a way to get the results he wanted. After several days of testing he sent me a very long, very detailed email about how he went to his range and he zero'd the thermal on his AR-15, then switched to his Rem 700, both at 100 yards. He started swapping the scopes back and forth, turning it off and turning it back on between changing rifle profiles, not turning it off and turning it back on between changing rifle profiles, removing the battery pack.....just everything he could think of. The results, the scope remained 100% zero'd between both rifles using that mount.

So at the end of the day, I'd summarize it like this.....if you are shooting hogs, coyotes, predators etc I see no reason to be concerned about the quality of any of the major QD mounts we've been talking about. If you are going on a hunt of a lifetime or going to be a sniper for the US military....then ya, I'd probably buy the most expensive finely machined QD mount the market has to offer.

And to be clear, if there is any confusion, this isn't a knock against any of these mounts. I sell and use all of the mounts I listed above, including the DLOC and Pulsar QD. Different strokes for different folks when it comes to which one you should choose.

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        The DLOC is probably the best their is, especially for out of spec rails like you mentioned. How theirs works so well is hard for me to understand since you tighten the thumb screw down. I think its just because of how tight their tolerances are on it. It has zero play even before you lock it down.
                        But I never have an issue with rails being out of spec really.

Comment

Jason you have spent a lot more time with all of these so I defer to you. The Pulsar QD never failed me, I just stepped into the DLOC because some of my rails are janky and not the same size. Part of that probably comes from the fact that I’m trying to run the scope on a centerfire, a rimfire, and a dang B.B. gun! If someone is running a scope on normal size rails I think the Pulsar QD would be perfect. It’s certainly smaller than the DLOC, which I miss.

Comment

Has it been discussed Thermal be Gen 2?

I honestly don't feel like going through 2500 post and a search didn't reveal anything

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              Has it been discussed Thermal be Gen 2?

I honestly don't feel like going through 2500 post and a search didn't reveal anything
                              Thermal or Gen 2 for weapons mounted hunting optics? At the risk of ticking off the few guys still out there using Gen 2 and Gen 3......thermal wins that battle almost every single time. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Gen 2/3 stuff and it has a few benefits but thermal has a LOT more benefits, including bang for your buck.

I have resisted saying this in this thread or publicly for a very very long time but I'm going to go ahead and do it because there is enough evidence that it can no longer be denied. Here goes....for hunting purposes, Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 are going completely away. They are on the way out the door already and the party is over for those optics. The consumers have spoken and digital NV and thermal won the contest.

Again, this isn't a slam against someone who owns a Gen scope. If it works for you and you like it, that's super, don't change a thing. But as an NV dealer, I can't in good conscience tell anyone to buy Gen 2/3 except in very very rare circumstances. For the millitary/LEO market, Gen NV will stick around for a while but even there the change over to thermal is being slowly seen.

My 2 cents!

Jason

Comment

Yep them boys making them need to work some extra OT for a few more months, hogs are getting ahead of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X