Indexing Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indexing Arrows

How important is indexing arrows for 3 blade broadheads? I heard this is important because of the speeds of todays bows. At what speed does this become important?

I've always wondered the same thing. Hope someone can help.

Comment

In for the answer

Comment

With the improvements in carbon arrow technology, it is not necessary, and you gain nothing from trying to index arrows. You would be hard pressed to find the seam in modern arrows, as opposed to the past where you could pull the nock and find it.

Comment

Not sure if it's important or not but all of mine are spine indexed. I order mine from South Shore and its part of his building process

Comment

Indexing Arrows

I agree with Bowhtntxn

My personal preference is to index my arrows, but I haven't always.
            I haven't noticed any difference.
            I switched from Beman to Gold Tip because if you look in the end of a Gold Tip Arrow with a bright light you can see the seam where the carbon overlaps. I have my arrows built with that up.

Comment

To the op. If your talking about indexing your broadheads to the vanes since your talking about three blade heads. I have never seen a difference.

Now to the others that talked about indexing arrows. I can show you a major difference in arrows that are indexed and not. If your shooting say 20 yards don't worry about it. If your shooting 50 plus. I can tighten your groups guaranteed.

Indexing is important if bow hunting is important. If your a weekend worrier don't bother

Comment

Aligning BH's to vanes as said above is not necessary. Nock indexing works very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  To the op. If your talking about indexing your broadheads to the vanes since your talking about three blade heads. I have never seen a difference.

Now to the others that talked about indexing arrows. I can show you a major difference in arrows that are indexed and not. If your shooting say 20 yards don't worry about it. If your shooting 50 plus. I can tighten your groups guaranteed.

Indexing is important if bow hunting is important. If your a weekend worrier don't bother
                  How do you index your arrows?

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

What enewman said!

It is important to index to spine, as enewman mentioned, as it will tighten the groups. We used to call this group tuning or broadhead group tuning.

You can do this with a gadget that will allow you to find the weak spine and then mark it so you can index your cock feather to this point. But this is only the beginning; from here you should shoot each arrow and see if it groups with all the others. If not rotate the nock slightly until it does.

But really you don't need the gadget, you can just start shooting and group tuning. Even using the spine finder gadget I still need to move most of the nocks, but it is a good starting point.

Group tuning can be done with field tips or broadheads, but I have found that broadheads work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      How do you index your arrows?
                      I start out with my flo tester. Then I check that point with my ram tester. Very much over kill. I just like doing it. Or I would not. Then I shoot all the arrow shafts through paper and match tear. Don't care what it is. Just as Long as all have same. Then fletch and group tune like rat is talking about.

Fixing to true knoc tune with a hooter shooter just to see.

Comment

I was asking about fletching match the broadheads now I want to index the arrows now. I want everything to be an perfect as possible

Comment

Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
                          I was asking about fletching match the broadheads now I want to index the arrows now. I want everything to be an perfect as possible
                          Every little bit helps; wait until you start making your own strings and cables!

Comment

Rat I said near perfect that will never happen with my own strings

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              Every little bit helps; wait until you start making your own strings and cables!
                              Not in my wheel house
                              Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
                              Rat I said near perfect that will never happen with my own strings

Comment

Working...
                              X