Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #51
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Awesome. You got any tips for the swimming practice?

I was a swimmer so getting back into it came natural me, but from what Iíve read and what Iíve seen when practicing is that most swimmers (myself included) donít kick enough. This creates dead weight that isnít hydrodynamic and forces you to work harder. Kicking keeps your feet shallow, which keeps your butt shallow, which keeps your gut shallow. Second, blow out all your air while your face is in the water so that when you turn your head to breathe, youíre only breathing in.

Lots of different approaches to building strength and distance in the water, but first make sure your kicking and breathing are solid before devoting a lot of time each week to increasing distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #52
txpitdog
Pope & Young

I survived! Swim was smooth, though there was some jostling around. Bike was incredible. I donít know how, but I rode at 3mph faster than in training. This saved 8 minutes, which is good because I didnít have as much left for the run as I hoped. My run was 3 minutes slower than I wanted, but the bike more than offset it. Beat my goal time and achieved my stretch goal. 1hr 26min.

Never thought Iíd be able to do something like this, and now I canít wait to do another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #53
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

congratulations man, job well done.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #54
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Congratulations! Your an official Tri-athlete now!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #55
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Congrats
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #56
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Congrats! Welcome to your new addiction
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #57
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Big time congratulations on your accomplishment! You have to feel pretty good about that one. Where to from here?
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #58
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Big time congratulations on your accomplishment! You have to feel pretty good about that one. Where to from here?
I told my wife I donít intend to go crazy with family abandonment levels of training but that I do want to see how far I can take it within reason. I feel very very lucky that my diet experiment worked and that things that happened along the way put me in a spot to even attempt a triathlon. I have a lot of fitness momentum going and donít want to lose it, especially since it will be very difficult to restart at my age. I certainly donít have the free time to devote to a full Ironman, and Iím not calling my shot yet...but I think the Galveston 70.3 in April is probably my next goal.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #59
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

You can always run a Du or three during the winter. Even a Formula Du. Good way to train for bike to run adaption. And keep motivated toward training too. And continue the swim practice for spring. Use the sprint tri(s) for part of your training, if your really thinking about Galveston. Just don't' go full bore on them and reserve your slow twitch mitocondriea building for Galveston. I did my first race in '91. And my last series in 2003.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #60
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
You can always run a Du or three during the winter. Even a Formula Du. Good way to train for bike to run adaption. And keep motivated toward training too. And continue the swim practice for spring. Use the sprint tri(s) for part of your training, if your really thinking about Galveston. Just don't' go full bore on them and reserve your slow twitch mitocondriea building for Galveston. I did my first race in '91. And my last series in 2003.
Thanks for the suggestions! The Kingwood marathon is on January 1st and has a sunup to sundown time limit. Iím considering trying to do a run/walk method just to experience 5-6 hours of continuous exertion, but I donít want to wreck myself and hinder my success for the 70.3. I also found someone in Kingwood who is a triathlon coach and plan to meet with them to talk about my goals and to get a reality check on what it will take to achieve them.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #61
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Getting a coach is a great idea!