Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 10-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Question What brand of bow do yall recommend?

I am gonna go with a recurve, light weight (40#) or less maybe. So what brands are best and easiest to shoot? I am a beginner traditionalist so go easy on me. Been shooting a compound for over two decades.

Will be split finger release/glove. Back in the day I shot instinctively, so there is that.

Got a lot to learn. What info you are willing to give I would appreciate it. Just keep it simple.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Ronnie
Eight Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I am gonna go with a recurve, light weight (40#) or less maybe. So what brands are best and easiest to shoot? I am a beginner traditionalist so go easy on me. Been shooting a compound for over two decades.

Will be split finger release/glove. Back in the day I shot instinctively, so there is that.

Got a lot to learn. What info you are willing to give I would appreciate it. Just keep it simple.
Pm sent

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My first recurve was a Martin X200 and its still my primary bow.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Im not even sure what to look for, what a good vs bad bow is. How to tune a recurve. Im basically ignorant on this subject. So that being said, an entry level bow is probably the ticket. Not sure what to do just yet.

Thanx for the contacts so far.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
TXRebel
Six Point

Hunt In: Terrell

Read the Stickys. Google is your friend. Ask lots of question. Get you an inexpensive, low poundage bow like a Samik/Galaxy Sage or one of the OMP bows, some closely spined arrows and work on your form. If you live near an archery range, see if they offer lessons.
TXRebel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebel View Post
Read the Stickys. Google is your friend. Ask lots of question. Get you an inexpensive, low poundage bow like a Samik/Galaxy Sage or one of the OMP bows, some closely spined arrows and work on your form. If you live near an archery range, see if they offer lessons.
Yessir, check, check, check and check. So far that's what I have done. Just trying to get peoples personal opinion or favorites in bow choices.

Thanx, that's good info.

Might get me one of those Black Rhino starters kit , I could probably handle that.

I was watching some youtube today and a lot of the entry level bows are loud/twangy.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-04-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Fishxbones
Four Point

Hunt In: SoTex

Hard to beat a samick or mandarin black hunter. I let my friend borrow my samick sage this year since I moved from recurve to longbow. He already took a doe 45# limbs. Lancaster also sells galaxy bows. I have a galaxy black ridge hybrid longbow. It's not fancy but priced right and I'm harvesting game. I didn't want to spend alot of money to find out if I prefer longbow over recurve. Now I know what I like and I might upgrade eventually. Its nice to have a bow that can get knocked around and doesnt make me cringe though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Fishxbones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Quote:
Yessir, check, check, check and check. So far that's what I have done. Just trying to get peoples personal opinion or favorites in bow choices.

Thanx, that's good info.

Might get me one of those Black Rhino starters kit , I could probably handle that.

I was watching some youtube today and a lot of the entry level bows are loud/twangy.
A lot of the starter bows are loud and twangy because the guy standing behind them doesn't yet understand how to tune and silence a bow. Getting the brace height right will do a lot to quiet a bow. Using heavy arrows does quite a bit more. Then some cat whiskers or a couple of string puffs will take the buzz out that is caused by string vibration. Forgot to mention, starter bows come with crappy strings, usually fat enough for a ninety pound pull. Putting a good string on helps performance and noise level.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
stickman
Pope & Young

I’d look for a good used sarrels on here. Though not a starter type bow you won’t have to buy another until you get totally hooked on trad.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Laszlo
Four Point

Hunt In: Open to suggestions

Samick/Galaxy - Sage. Well made and budget friendly. Had mine for years. Love the interchangeable limbs. I can start low at 20 lbs and move up in 5 lb increments.
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Bud Ellis
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, county , Anderson county

look into a black hunter I bought one a month ago for a kid to start with I put it together played with it and was shooting bulls eye at 20 yards not bad for a beginner . and only cost 89.50 it took a week and a half to get here . I did put another string on it the one that came with it was not to good . I think it would get you started and cost is just to good to pass up .
Bud Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
Tomkat70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Man U just opened up a can
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have 40# Samick Sage that I will make you a deal on... If you want make an 1.5 hour drive west I will help you get started.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

I shoot a Great Plainsman longbow. I have had a half dozen others over the last 20 years. It is still my favorite!
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat70 View Post
Man U just opened up a can
What? What did I say?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #16
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Well this thread dried up on the vine
Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #17
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

LOL, I don't think that there are a lot of guys frequenting this forum. You can go over to archerytalk.com and get about twenty five guys to tell you that an ILF set-up is the way to go. I can almost write their answers for them because I've seen the same advice so many times now. Asking for advice on "what is the best bow" or "what bow should I buy" opens a can of personal biases. You are quite likely to get a different answer from everyone that chooses to participate.

My advice is to buy a used Samick Sage. You can find them anywhere from $60 to $80 in the classifieds of most sites or on Ebay. The beauty about this bow is that you can also find limbs from 20 to 60 pounds for about $45 on the used market. They are a 62" bow. Not too long and not too short so it is a good starting point. The riser has inserts installed that allow for the use of bow quivers, fishing reels, and elevated sights. IMO, you get quite a lot of bow for very little money. Use it, abuse it, what ever. They seem to just keep on going. When you are ready to move up in quality or quit, you can sell them and get most of your money back. For what they cost, I think a lot of guys just hang on to them. I have four now. Two in left and two in right handed. The standard advice is to put a good string on them. The stock string is fat and slow. It will get you started but a lower strand count string made out of harder material really wakes these bows up.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #18
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

What brand of beer, car, toilet paper, etc?
That's the can of worms. There is no "best".
Many start out with the Sage as 60D said. I did. Killed my first trad deer with it. Bought it used and sold it for what I gave for it.
Chances are, if the discipline grows on you, you will trade "up" as you go. Although a Sage, Black Hunter or other lower end bow will do pretty much what any bow will most like to have what fits their fancy at some point.
Some shooters want nice wood and laminates with horn overlays etc. Others want a metal riser and carbon limbs.
It's all personal and for most it evolves as their journey and way of enjoying it develops.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Wayne Meuir
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick, Texas

If I were you, I would take caughtandhobble's offer. There is not better way to get started than with someone who has been around for a while.

Samick Sage is a good bow. They don't have all the fancy treatments that custom bows have, so they don't look quite as good, but they shoot quite well. I have four or five custom made longbows and one recurve, a Samick Sage.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Everyone thinks their recurve is the best....and it could be, to them....you need to get your hands on as many recurves as you can and see which one fits you better.....there is a reason you will find a price difference on bows, bows made in china will be cheaper and you should know why, but mass production bows will be cheaper than a bowyer that makes his bows.
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #21
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Yeah, Im gonna start cheap, incase I cant hit a barndoor with it. Probably a Sage or Blackhunter

I just wondering what yall liked. Back when I first started bowhunting I was toying with using both kind of bows, glad I didnt. Back then I was looking at a Schaffer Silvertip, not sure if they still make those?
Old 10-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #22
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.

All my bows; 1 recurve and 3 Longbows are no longer made.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #23
Stick bow
Four Point

Hunt In: Currently lease less

Check you local bow shops, they may have a few old ones put up some where. When I started traditional bows I went to a shop in Houston and ask if they had any , by luck they pulled 5 out from a back room . We looked them over put new string and I bought three. That was a few years back but I still shoot them today.
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #24
Stick bow
Four Point

Hunt In: Currently lease less

Forgot to tell you , when your ready for the really nice ones check out Great Plains bows and black widow custom bows .
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

This is not a dig at custom bowyers, But:

I would (especially knowing what I know now) start by getting a good "metal" ILF riser (JC Optimus), and a good set of limbs I could afford.

Maybe two sets of limbs to have a backup. There are lots of very well constructed, and top performing ILF limbs out there at very reasonable prices.

I could/can do all of that, and have a bow, that performs way better than most high dollar custom bows, and cost me 2/3rd's less.

The only upgrading I would ever desire (not necessarily need) would be in limbs, because the riser will last me a lifetime, and work as well on "my last day" as it did on "it's first day".

Yeah - ILF all the way for me from now on. I wish they had been available way back then.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

Metal bows have no soul Rick. Lifeless entities doomed to roam the void forever.

That's the thing I meant. It's a very personal thing. There is no "best" that fits all.

Gary
Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #27
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Metal bows have no soul Rick. Lifeless entities doomed to roam the void forever.

That's the thing I meant. It's a very personal thing. There is no "best" that fits all.

Gary
Yeah, but they don't rot, or break.

Rick
Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #28
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Yeah, but they don't rot, or break.

Rick
And on an ilf bow you can put those ****** uukah (i probably misspelled that) big hook limbs. Every time I think of getting a custom recurve I remember those limbs and decide that if i ever dump that much money in a bow an ilf is what I will do. I probably would go wood riser though
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Ok what is an "ilf"
Old 10-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #30
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok what is an "ilf"
International limb fitting, or something close to that. If you buy an ILF riser or bow and later want to change limbs you can choose from a huge amount of limbs from a large number of manufactures. And the limbs go from inexpensive to $$$, and recurve and longbow
Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Metal risers definitely have structural advantages.

Gary
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #32
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Metal risers definitely have structural advantages.

Gary
Yes they do. If you ever have a riser break on you at full draw (I've had two), you'll understand why I like metal.

Rick
Old 10-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #33
DRT
Pope & Young

The weight is a negative for me. Even thick riser wood bows seem cumbersome. And I prefer a low wrist grip which I'm sure you could get in an ILF configuration.
That's one thing I do like about the traditional side.
If I own a Hoyt compound it will look very similar to everyone else's Hoyt even if it is a different model. Same with Mathew's or PSE etc.
With a custom bow, even though the bowyers design is pretty static in construction,all the little things make it more personal for me.
That said, starting out there is no way I could drop several hundred or a thousand plus on a custom. And I believe it would have been unwise to.

Gary
Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #34
TxBowHntr
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

For those that suggest new strings, any suggestions?
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #35
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Quote:

Gary
Bows are like cars and women, everyone likes something a bit different. There are many tried and true designs out there that deserve close scrutiny. Do your research, talk to everyone, boil it down and pull the trigger. (so to speak) There are several bowyers who do not advertise at all, but word of mouth keeps them in business. As mentioned in my original post 3 of 4 bows I own are not longer made. Also, look into the try before you buy, that some bowyers have. That will give you a real good idea of what you like and not.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #36
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBowHntr View Post
This is it's whole own can of worms. Some only want high end skinny strings because of feel and performance benefits, some only like old school dacron because of feel and easier quietening, some like one type on recurves and another on longbows. Basically you gotta try a few and see what you like.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #37
Fishxbones
Four Point

Hunt In: SoTex

Quote:
Mountain muffler

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Fishxbones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #38
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

start on a 62'' or 64'' recurve, it really helps developing form and consistency which builds confidence....and probably start with a 40# bow or less..find out if you like 3under or split finger method, check out joel turner youtube videos, he helps with the form and mental side of the spectrum in a simple but efficient way....
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #39
ptaylortx
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County, Houston County, Angelina County and South Texas

I've got a custom built Ron Foley Wave recurve I'm looking to sell. It's 42#@28. I live just down the road from you in Deweyville if you'd like to shoot it. Just prefer shooting my Sarrels lynx. I paid $1000 for it and I'd take $500. Shot VERY little. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by ptaylortx; 10-15-2019 at 08:52 PM.
ptaylortx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #40
ptaylortx
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton County, Houston County, Angelina County and South Texas

Here's some pics
Attached Images

ptaylortx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #41
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Im probably gonna hold off till January.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #42
TxBowHntr
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
This is it's whole own can of worms. Some only want high end skinny strings because of feel and performance benefits, some only like old school dacron because of feel and easier quietening, some like one type on recurves and another on longbows. Basically you gotta try a few and see what you like.
Gotcha. I was hoping there was an easy way to buy a string. I am in the same boat and wanting to start shooting traditional. The Sage seems like a great option to start and if a new string means a much better experience, I am all in. I was hoping it would be an easy purchase. Sounds like I need to talk to some experts first...
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #43
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Do it...do it now.

Good luck on your trad endeavor MrLegacy.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #44
TXRebel
Six Point

Hunt In: Terrell

Quote:
Gotcha. I was hoping there was an easy way to buy a string. I am in the same boat and wanting to start shooting traditional. The Sage seems like a great option to start and if a new string means a much better experience, I am all in. I was hoping it would be an easy purchase. Sounds like I need to talk to some experts first...
If you are looking for a new string, I highly recommend Hunter's Choice Bowstrings.
TXRebel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #45
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
There is. 3 Rivers sells premade strings.

Gary
Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #46
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

A real bow has no metal or glass! All the above is good advice. Hook up with caughtenhobble you won’t be disappointed. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 AM   #47
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Do it...do it now.

Good luck on your trad endeavor MrLegacy.
Thanx Friar sir. Im just gonna take my time, gather data, look for deals. Pretty much decided on arrows and broadheads. The bow choice still up for grabs.