X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Broadhead

Looking for a new broadhead to shoot out of my new Sarrels Yukon
    Recommendations?

I use German Kinetic as my main broadheads. I also use Magnus Stingers, Eclipse Werewolf, and Wasp Traditional heads, and they all work great.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just got some 200 grain Grizzly’s this year. Haven’t shot anything with them yet, but if they’re as good as the 125’s they should be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Montec

Comment

Rage.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Rage.

Gary
            SMH! Since you didn't really learn anything from your recent posts on another traditional bowhunting site about the very same topic... I will go ahead and summarize a response for anybody who might be looking at this thread/post and will take this seriously.

Mechanicals are definitely not recommended for trad bows or by anybody with a decent amount of experience hunting with trad bows.

yes, we live in a free country and you are free to do whatever you want. I know you have strong opinions apparently about the use of rage with a trad bow since you won't let it go... but...

The use of a fixed blade head is critically important for more reasons that just energy, etc when dealing with trad bows.

If you want a wide cut head, give Simmons Tiger Sharks a go. This is my current head and I am really liking the performance in the last year with them.

Comment

Do you know what weight you need? Some people pick the head they want to use and tune the arrow back from there. I did it the other way around - I tuned to use a 150 grain head (145 field point w/a 5gr washer) then started experimenting with broad heads of that weight. As far as two blade heads I am using the Grizzly Samurai single bevels. In a 3 blade I have had success with the Woodsman Elite and the VPA.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                Do you know what weight you need? Some people pick the head they want to use and tune the arrow back from there. I did it the other way around - I tuned to use a 150 grain head (145 field point w/a 5gr washer) then started experimenting with broad heads of that weight. As far as two blade heads I am using the Grizzly Samurai single bevels. In a 3 blade I have had success with the Woodsman Elite and the VPA.
                That is a great point! I was completely lost the first time I started out... and ended up thinking 150gr would be what I would tune to... turned out 175 was better and started looking there. Been sitting on 175gr through 2 bows and that weight kind of set the standard. you can use adapter weights or insert weights too... but I am now particular to a certain head weight... and primarily at heads that use a lot of that weight to back the blade. (ie beefier blades)

Comment

I found the top hats screwed on to wood shafts to be a good thing,, I top that with the magnus stinger,,,, the stinger is my go to head for everything because they work 100% of the time and they are true package to package

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    SMH! Since you didn't really learn anything from your recent posts on another traditional bowhunting site about the very same topic... I will go ahead and summarize a response for anybody who might be looking at this thread/post and will take this seriously.

Mechanicals are definitely not recommended for trad bows or by anybody with a decent amount of experience hunting with trad bows.

yes, we live in a free country and you are free to do whatever you want. I know you have strong opinions apparently about the use of rage with a trad bow since you won't let it go... but...

The use of a fixed blade head is critically important for more reasons that just energy, etc when dealing with trad bows.

If you want a wide cut head, give Simmons Tiger Sharks a go. This is my current head and I am really liking the performance in the last year with them.
                    What I've learned is three pigs don't know they aren't supposed to work. What I've learned is that if I don't try I won't know for sure. I love the wide cut. If you don't want to use them that's your business. If it's not your idea of traditional then that's your hang up.
                    Right now I'm trying some 150 grain, 1.5" fixed blade heads that seem promising. The pig I killed with Sacagawea was with one of them. If they turn out well the I would go that route. But the Woodsman heads have not given me a good blood trail yet. The Grizzlies are a solid head but not wide enough and too expensive.
                    I'm sorry the elitist attitude doesn't like someone who thinks outside the box. But that is who I am.

Gary

Comment

Right now I'm really liking the Grizzly Bruins. I'm shooting the 200 grains. With that said, I have NOT shot an animal with them yet but they fly awesome out of my bow and I can get them sharp pretty easy. I have no doubt they'll work if I do my part.

Comment

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that brand of broadheads doesn't really matter, as long as they are sharp and are well tuned to your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          What I've learned is three pigs don't know they aren't supposed to work. What I've learned is that if I don't try I won't know for sure. I love the wide cut. If you don't want to use them that's your business. If it's not your idea of traditional then that's your hang up.
                          Right now I'm trying some 150 grain, 1.5" fixed blade heads that seem promising. The pig I killed with Sacagawea was with one of them. If they turn out well the I would go that route. But the Woodsman heads have not given me a good blood trail yet. The Grizzlies are a solid head but not wide enough and too expensive.
                          I'm sorry the elitist attitude doesn't like someone who thinks outside the box. But that is who I am.

Gary
                          Gary,

Do you understand WHY mechanicals are not a good idea for a for a finger released, non center shot, off the shelf, low KE setup?

This has nothing absolutely to do with being "traditional" or and "elitist." And your sample size of success doesn't outweigh the overarching principles that suggest mechanicals don't have a place in a wide range of setups that are commonly labeled as traditional.

Do you think people just rain down on you because they just absolutely hate rage? I run nocturnals... by rage... nothing against the company... nothing against mechanicals either... but their application in a wide form of setups that we often call "traditional" isn't a good recipe for the higher margins we need in our equipment.

Nobody is being an elitist here... And nobody says trying something isn't a good idea... I mean, some of us tried a nice little plastic broadhead once knowing darned well that it wasn't likely to pan out. Did it kill something once... yeah... but...

And you can call it "thinking outside the box" all you want... but what you are doing isn't "innovative"... and even if it was... it is irresponsible to hype up innovation without solid proof that it works for a wide variety of applicatons/setups.

An elitist I am not. But just about everybody on here knows that I am an engineer that analyzes a lot of data in order to make some informed decisions and I don't take giving advice to folks lightly... So yeah, it bugs me when bad advice is given. It is who I am....

Comment

Right this second my favorite is Magnus Stingers. Next week it will be slick tricks and the week after something different.

A quality head with hair popping sharp blades is the key to success for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              Gary,

Do you understand WHY mechanicals are not a good idea for a for a finger released, non center shot, off the shelf, low KE setup?

This has nothing absolutely to do with being "traditional" or and "elitist." And your sample size of success doesn't outweigh the overarching principles that suggest mechanicals don't have a place in a wide range of setups that are commonly labeled as traditional.

Do you think people just rain down on you because they just absolutely hate rage? I run nocturnals... by rage... nothing against the company... nothing against mechanicals either... but their application in a wide form of setups that we often call "traditional" isn't a good recipe for the higher margins we need in our equipment.

Nobody is being an elitist here... And nobody says trying something isn't a good idea... I mean, some of us tried a nice little plastic broadhead once knowing darned well that it wasn't likely to pan out. Did it kill something once... yeah... but...

And you can call it "thinking outside the box" all you want... but what you are doing isn't "innovative"... and even if it was... it is irresponsible to hype up innovation without solid proof that it works for a wide variety of applicatons/setups.

An elitist I am not. But just about everybody on here knows that I am an engineer that analyzes a lot of data in order to make some informed decisions and I don't take giving advice to folks lightly... So yeah, it bugs me when bad advice is given. It is who I am....
                              I think he was just kidding about using Rage broadheads.....

Comment

Working...
                              X