A letter to my pro gun friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    One side of this is that kids are taught to not fight these days. They are taught aggression is bad, violence is bad, hurting anyone is bad. Even if that person is trying to hurt you. Kids (especially young males) are supposed to fight, they are supposed to be aggressive. But we have brainwashed that out of them. One of the most asinine phrases to ever become popular is "violence solves nothing"/"violence is never the answer".

The other side of this is that no one really knows how they'll act in a situation like this until it happens. Humans have an incredible instinct to survive and almost all of our bodies would choose flight. There are very few people who can overcome that reaction.
    Facing targets and range time. Muscle memory will overtake the entire thought process other than marking targets with your eyes. That's how we train Federal LE and US Army Basic Infantry Combat Training.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      When in that situation it's the first 2 or 3 people that need to start the rush. Otherwise 1 guy trying to rush the shooter is just making an easy target.

I mean why would you jump up and say Shoot me first!

I get what you're saying though but it would need to be instilled in everyone's heads. Then when the shooting starts 80% will panic and curl into a ball but maybe 20% can try the bum rush and probably sacrifice themselves.
      That’s why you’d have to have group training for such a response. It’s relatively easy to condition someone to react a specific way to certain stimuli in a short period of time. It’s done all the time to ball players and soldiers.

Edit: Sweet beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        Facing targets and range time. Muscle memory will overtake the entire thought process other than marking targets with your eyes. That's how we train Federal LE and US Army Basic Infantry Combat Training.
        Right, but how many highschool kids have that training or mentality as Jer_James mentioned above? I don't disagree with either of y'all, but it's a very small portion of the population that has that training or attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          When in that situation it's the first 2 or 3 people that need to start the rush. Otherwise 1 guy trying to rush the shooter is just making an easy target.

I mean why would you jump up and say Shoot me first!

I get what you're saying though but it would need to be instilled in everyone's heads. Then when the shooting starts 80% will panic and curl into a ball but maybe 20% can try the bum rush and probably sacrifice themselves.
          I guess my thought process is, if we or I lay here he will surely kill us... If we rush him, maybe he will, maybe he won't. He has to reload at least. And how would this coward have reacted to have 5 or six people coming at him at close quarters, in primordial, animal survival mode? He would likely nut up, close his eyes and miss completely. I don't know about most people but, even at 52 I can cover lot of ground in a short distance (room to room). And I know from life experience that I do posses the attack/defense reflex. If you have to think about it, you're probably already dead.

Comment

Problem is, as Clay stated, students are being "trained" that there is "zero tolerance" when it comes to violence. Any aggression will not be tolerated. We are literally raising victims.

Comment

Right, but how many highschool kids have that training or mentality as Jer_James mentioned above? I don't disagree with either of y'all, but it's a very small portion of the population that has that training or attitude.
              None I would hope. The only realistic thing that would have and should have stopped this mental health issue is that the leaders we placed in charge of seeing to the safety of our children weren't mailing it in and took the threat seriously. Even if you put an armed LE in a school if he isn't right where he needs to be at the right time he is worthless to prevent a shooting as was the one the Florida school had.

Comment

One side of this is that kids are taught to not fight these days. They are taught aggression is bad, violence is bad, hurting anyone is bad. Even if that person is trying to hurt you. Kids (especially young males) are supposed to fight, they are supposed to be aggressive. But we have brainwashed that out of them. One of the most asinine phrases to ever become popular is "violence solves nothing"/"violence is never the answer".

The other side of this is that no one really knows how they'll act in a situation like this until it happens. Humans have an incredible instinct to survive and almost all of our bodies would choose flight. There are very few people who can overcome that reaction.
                You're absolutely right. And yes the "knowing what we will do" is a big factor. I have made a habit for at least 30 years that I can recall of playing "what if" when I'm in public or other situations, running possible outcomes through my head. Mostly as a result of my time in the Army, we called it "sharpening the bayonet". And we may have to learn to overcome or fight that flight instinct.

In my opinion, we have been teaching the exact opposite of what needs teaching. Considering the increase in the shootings, attacks and rise in soft targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Problem is, as Clay stated, students are being "trained" that there is "zero tolerance" when it comes to violence. Any aggression will not be tolerated. We are literally raising victims.
                  bingo

You will hear this type scenario in any school grade campus or day care.

T:"now look little Johnny... we don't ever, ever, ever put our hands on someone else, for ANY reason, Never, ever ,ever."

LJ:"but... he was about to cut me with his scissors... and he was really really mad"

T:"NEVER ever ever... do you understand?"

LJ:"yes ma-am"

Comment

Exactly. A couple of months ago I had a lady I know who is in her late 20's lecture me on how terrible I was because I said I would use a gun to protect myself and others. She asked if I could ever shoot someone, and that was my answer. She just thought it was terrible. I repeated myself several times "so if someone is trying to kill me, I shouldn't try and kill them first?" in an atempt to get her to actually think about it. Literally the only response she had was "violence is never the answer". Straight up, clear as day brain washing. I know that is anecdotal, but you see that attitude everywhere these days.

Comment

Which is why you see so many white kids on these viral videos not defending themselves and immediately taking the fetal position and their beating from more "diverse" students. Pretty sure the zero tolerance standard like almost every other rule or standard is in the favor of a more "diverse" person(s).

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                        bingo

You will hear this type scenario in any school grade campus or day care.

T:"now look little Johnny... we don't ever, ever, ever put our hands on someone else, for ANY reason, Never, ever ,ever."

LJ:"but... he was about to cut me with his scissors... and he was really really mad"

T:"NEVER ever ever... do you understand?"

LJ:"yes ma-am"
                        Clay to LJ: "If that kid ever looks at you again, you pummel him so hard he dreams of the day he will forget your name."

Comment

Clay to LJ: "If that kid ever looks at you again, you pummel him so hard he dreams of the day he will forget your name."
                          zacklee

Comment

My Kids listen to me before any school or teacher.

Comment

Exactly. A couple of months ago I had a lady I know who is in her late 20's lecture me on how terrible I was because I said I would use a gun to protect myself and others. She asked if I could ever shoot someone, and that was my answer. She just thought it was terrible. I repeated myself several times "so if someone is trying to kill me, I shouldn't try and kill them first?" in an atempt to get her to actually think about it. Literally the only response she had was "violence is never the answer". Straight up, clear as day brain washing. I know that is anecdotal, but you see that attitude everywhere these days.
                              Too many sheep and wolves. Not enough sheep dogs these days.

Comment

Literally the only response she had was "violence is never the answer". Straight up, clear as day brain washing. I know that is anecdotal, but you see that attitude everywhere these days.
                                That reminds me of my favorite one “violence never solves anything”. I guess the US and Russia just hugged all those Nazis to death then. Violence has been the solution to most every argument since man first walked this earth.

Comment

Working...
                                X