No announcement yet.

Mud tires on wet pavement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to the traction issue, mud tires on pavement are NOISY too... That constant roaring would drive me nutz in short order, plus the more they wear, the LOUDER they get...

Comment

Just slow down....do you want a mud tire or all terrain? Maybe let your wife drive you to the lease.

Comment

I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers on my Wrangler and have never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          I have always put all-terrain tires on my trucks, but I’m thinking about mud tires for the next set. A good 95% of my driving is on-pavement, but the places I hunt get real muddy. I would very much like some better traction on the ranch roads. I’m not concerned about road noise. But I have heard your traction on wet pavement suffers with mud tires. How noticeable is it, as compared to all-terrains? Enough to be dangerous at high speed during Texas downpours? Anything else to consider?

Thanks all.
          Ever heard the term "PUCKER"?

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
            My nitto ridge grapplers do well, not quite a full mud tire, but they do pretty good in mud
            I second this. They've been the best off road tire I've run so far. And I've tried a lot. They held up longer and they ride noticeably smoother and quieter.

Comment

I’ve always wanted a set of mud terrain tires, but didn’t want to deal with the road noise. Bought a new truck in December and drove it straight to the tire shop and had a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers put on it. After a week I didn’t even notice the noise and I haven’t had any problem in wet road conditions. I drive like an old man though. Only thing I’ve noticed is that they will road walk a little.

2” leveling kit, and MT tires sure will change the look of your truck too. Drove out today to fill up some feeders after 6” of rain and didn’t have any problems. They make a huge difference compared to A/T tires in the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                In addition to the traction issue, mud tires on pavement are NOISY too... That constant roaring would drive me nutz in short order, plus the more they wear, the LOUDER they get...
                Sure sign of maturity or age. Love me some Michelin

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                  I’ve always wanted a set of mud terrain tires, but didn’t want to deal with the road noise. Bought a new truck in December and drove it straight to the tire shop and had a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers put on it. After a week I didn’t even notice the noise and I haven’t had any problem in wet road conditions. I drive like an old man though. Only thing I’ve noticed is that they will road walk a little.

2” leveling kit, and MT tires sure will change the look of your truck too. Drove out today to fill up some feeders after 6” of rain and didn’t have any problems. They make a huge difference compared to A/T tires in the mud.

I've been an AT guy all my life and I am sick and tired of my diesel crew dogging it in the mud around the lease. If I want to hunt and it rains, I want to hunt. That heavy 7.3 acts like a plow with ATs so I told myself they next set with be a set of more aggressive tires although I'd like to find something between AT and true mud tires. I'm not real worried about too much noise as the diesel is already pretty loud. I also want something that will last longer that 30K miles. Currently run Cooper ATs and we are getting close to replacement time.

Do those Nittos fit the bill?

Comment

Mud tires on wet pavement?

Mileage was another concern. I talked to a guy that runs the same tire I got and he told me that he kept his last set rotated every 5K miles and got almost 50K out of them. I wasn’t expecting that much, but I guess I’ll find out in about another year.

I’m happy with them so far.

Last edited by MBV77; 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I have had mud tires of one brand or another on my 02 F350 4X4, most of the 260,000 miles that are on it. It started off with POS Firestone garbage street tires, those were horrible on any wet surface, carpet grass pavement, concrete, mud. I then tried to put BFG Mud Terrains but the dealer put all terrains, it sucked in mud. I was really ****** off when they put the all terrains on the truck and tried to tell me that's what I asked for, it was case of that's what they wanted for their truck and decided that's what I needed for my truck. But those eventually got worn out and replaced with some BFG Mud Terrains, life was much better.

On my F350 I really don't notice any traction problems on pavement, wet or dry, but I have not had any good street tires on the truck since I have owned it. I can tell you that all of the mud tires I have had on the truck have about 90% better traction on wet roads than the factory Firestone tires had, those things were extremely dangerous. I had the truck completely sideways many times on highways at highway speeds, upwards of 75 mph, with those POS Firestones. I have not had that problem since I put the BFG all terrains on the truck.

I can tell you that around 30 years ago, when I had my 78 Bronco, I put BFG Mud Terrains on it, that's all that truck ever had from the day I got it. But there were some roads in Corpus, that the truck had close to zero traction on, with those mud terrains, they look virtually the same as the last BFG mud terrains, before they stopped making them. My 89 F350 4X4 had BFG Mud Terrains on it, I really never noticed traction problems with it on wet roads. Most of my trucks have been Ford 4X4s multiple 70s truck, then the one 89 F350, now a 02 F350. The only 2wd truck I have ever owned was my 93 Lightning, it had Firestones from the factory, that were worn out it about 15,000 miles, but they had traction for those 15,000 miles. They got replaced with some BFG tire, that was the only company at the time that made that size tire, other than Firestone, nobody wanted to pay Firestones prices for tire that would wear out quickly. That truck had fairly wide street tires of two types that were both pretty good on wet roads, but could hydroplane if the water was deep enough. That truck then my 02 F350 are the only two trucks that I have driven with anything other than mud tires. So I may not be able to give you the best answer on how mud tires compare to other tires. I don't have any problems with them. I prefer my F350 with mud tires in a heavy down pour over one of my Mustangs in heavy rain. I know the Mustangs with wide tires will hydroplane easily, if the rain does not stand on the road making small lakes, the Mustang does not have a problem, but if the water is 2" deep or so and you are going 70 mph, you will hydroplane. I just push in the clutch and don't touch the brakes. I won't drive the Mustang in water deeper than about 5", if I don't know how deep it is, I don't go through it. I don't remember ever getting having either of my F350s hydroplane, I know I have been through some deep water with them on highways, country roads. I have had to drive my current F350 through some water about 3' deep a few times to make it home when it flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                        Mileage was another concern. I talked to a guy that runs the same tire I got and he told me that he kept his last set rotated every 5K miles and got almost 50K out of them. I wasn’t expecting that much, but I guess I’ll find out in about another year.

I’m happy with them so far.

Nice.... was looking at the Hankook DynaPro MTs as well.

Comment

they will grab puddles hard and yes, pavement traction is worse than with an AT in my experience.
                          Trade off seems to be less susceptibility to hydroplaning.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            I have had mud tires of one brand or another on my 02 F350 4X4, most of the 260,000 miles that are on it. It started off with POS Firestone garbage street tires, those were horrible on any wet surface, carpet grass pavement, concrete, mud. I then tried to put BFG Mud Terrains but the dealer put all terrains, it sucked in mud. I was really ****** off when they put the all terrains on the truck and tried to tell me that's what I asked for, it was case of that's what they wanted for their truck and decided that's what I needed for my truck. But those eventually got worn out and replaced with some BFG Mud Terrains, life was much better.

On my F350 I really don't notice any traction problems on pavement, wet or dry, but I have not had any good street tires on the truck since I have owned it. I can tell you that all of the mud tires I have had on the truck have about 90% better traction on wet roads than the factory Firestone tires had, those things were extremely dangerous. I had the truck completely sideways many times on highways at highway speeds, upwards of 75 mph, with those POS Firestones. I have not had that problem since I put the BFG all terrains on the truck.

I can tell you that around 30 years ago, when I had my 78 Bronco, I put BFG Mud Terrains on it, that's all that truck ever had from the day I got it. But there were some roads in Corpus, that the truck had close to zero traction on, with those mud terrains, they look virtually the same as the last BFG mud terrains, before they stopped making them. My 89 F350 4X4 had BFG Mud Terrains on it, I really never noticed traction problems with it on wet roads. Most of my trucks have been Ford 4X4s multiple 70s truck, then the one 89 F350, now a 02 F350. The only 2wd truck I have ever owned was my 93 Lightning, it had Firestones from the factory, that were worn out it about 15,000 miles, but they had traction for those 15,000 miles. They got replaced with some BFG tire, that was the only company at the time that made that size tire, other than Firestone, nobody wanted to pay Firestones prices for tire that would wear out quickly. That truck had fairly wide street tires of two types that were both pretty good on wet roads, but could hydroplane if the water was deep enough. That truck then my 02 F350 are the only two trucks that I have driven with anything other than mud tires. So I may not be able to give you the best answer on how mud tires compare to other tires. I don't have any problems with them. I prefer my F350 with mud tires in a heavy down pour over one of my Mustangs in heavy rain. I know the Mustangs with wide tires will hydroplane easily, if the rain does not stand on the road making small lakes, the Mustang does not have a problem, but if the water is 2" deep or so and you are going 70 mph, you will hydroplane. I just push in the clutch and don't touch the brakes. I won't drive the Mustang in water deeper than about 5", if I don't know how deep it is, I don't go through it. I don't remember ever getting having either of my F350s hydroplane, I know I have been through some deep water with them on highways, country roads. I have had to drive my current F350 through some water about 3' deep a few times to make it home when it flooded.

So the MTs make your truck a whole different truck in mud even with that plow heavy of a 7.3? I have run ATs on my 2001 F350 SRWfor its entire life. I drove those cheap *** stock Firestones straight from the lot to Discount Tire and bought Cooper ATs. I've never jumped off into MTs but I'm tired of them limiting me in that diesel dog when they get a little wear on them. I've never been stuck but I have been **** close....and the stretch from our camp to the front gate is the worst. Tired of worrying on a Sat night down pour if I'm going to get to the gate... Currently running Cooper ATPs
                            Last edited by Smart; 05-03-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Why not buy tires that are best for the majority of the driving you do? You do 95% of driving on pavement so buy tires that are great on pavement.

If you have to have a set of tires for the rare occasion when you get off pavement buy a set of wheels with mud tires and run them during hunting season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                                Why not buy tires that are best for the majority of the driving you do? You do 95% of driving on pavement so buy tires that are great on pavement.

If you have to have a set of tires for the rare occasion when you get off pavement buy a set of wheels with mud tires and run them during hunting season.

I've done that for years...with that theory I technically should be driving a 2WD truck or even a rice burner car too.

I'm getting closer to 75-25 on that percentage...more if you deduct the 5 hours too and from to get to my deer lease from the pavement driving since technically I am on my way hunting. Plus not having mud tires is cutting into my local river bottom pig hunting here close to home....

Comment

Working...
                                X