Best broadhead for elk ???

I am going elk hunting in September
    First time to hunt elk with a bow
    I am convinced I need to use a fixblade vs the mechanical im used to
    Looking for suggestions that will do the needed damage to a big bull
    Please speak from experience only not hypothetical suggestions
    Thanks in advance
    Your friend “D”

Doing the same and from all the research and podcasts done by Gus that kill multiple bulls a year, you’re best bet is with slick trick standards or viper tricks, muzzy trocar, qad exodus, and iron will. I’ll be shooting iron wills.

Again, this is from guys that hunt several stars a year and have shot almost every head made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In...what grain broadhead and arrow needed?

Comment

Don’t over think it, unless you have a micro draw length and itty bitty back muscles and also shooting traditional equipment, in that case just use a two blade 1” cut.

If you want to spend lots of money and have a really sexy Broadhead then Solids, Iron Will, and German Kenetic.

If you spent all your money on tags,Muzzy and Slick tricks and Magnus and steel force.

I like solids and the old ulmer edges.

Note that some of the two blade Broadhead s have 1” cuts and blood trails on an elk can be lacking, especially if higher lung

Comment

Don't know if there is a best. Shoot whatever you are most comfortable with and shoot the best. I was really impressed with the Iron Will last year. The Bull was at 56 yards when I ranged him and steady walking away. I stopped him with a cow call, put my 60 yard pin on him and hit him behind the the shoulder and it passed through the opposite shoulder blade. I plan on using them again this year and hopefully get to try them out again on another elk. Slick Trick standards are now my back up broadheads.

Good luck on your hunt and choice of broadheads!

Comment

Definitely go with a fixed head, period. I've shot 4 elk in the last 4 hunts I've been on. The first 2 we're using Rage Hypodermics. None of which passed through. The second elk was heart shot and ran 40 yards, leaving a massive blood trail after 20 yards. The last 2 elk I've shot using QAD Exodus 100gr. Swept blades and won't go back to anything else. Both shots went through at least 1 rib and part of shoulder to stick in the ground past each elk.

I've been glued to a lot of the hunting shows lately where Elk are hunted and really think they are doing a disservice by promoting the Rage's for large, elk-sized game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbird8791 View Post
              In...what grain broadhead and arrow needed?

Here is a pic from m a post on another forum. 52 yards, 420 grain arrow, 70 pound draw, frontal shot on a bull and here is the exit wound with an iron will.

You don’t need 500 grains and 20% foc to go through a bull. You need great arrow flight and a broad head designed to penetrate.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                Here is a pic from m a post on another forum. 52 yards, 420 grain arrow, 70 pound draw, frontal shot on a bull and here is the exit wound with an iron will.

You don’t need 500 grains and 20% foc to go through a bull. You need great arrow flight and a broad head designed to penetrate.

Mic drop..... I’m sure somebody will argue against that pic though..

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  Mic drop..... I’m sure somebody will argue against that pic though..

If you think about it, not a lot of solid bone pass the sternum. I can see this easily happening.

Comment

I prefer a fixed two blade, cut on contact!

I haven't killed that many elk, but what I've killed went down with out any problems with a two blade Magnus!

Comment

What is your set up? Bow model, poundage, draw length, arrow spine, total weight, FPS, etc. Do you Broadhead tune or just be like most folks and screw on a BH at the trail head? What state are you hunting and what kind of terrain?

If you are hunting Idaho it has to be a fixed blade head. If you are hunting eastern Montana or wide open AZ or NM a great fling mechanical with enough momentum in your set up can be killer. But hunting thick stuff you may want a big three blade or COC two blade for frontals. I have personally killed three elk with my bow, two with Montecs and one with a Magnus Buzzcut. With that said, I’ve seen a couple killed with Rages at very far distances and they killed them deader than heck. But they were shot by good archers with quality set ups.

Comment

Smoke Ramcats, 100 grain 1 3/8" cut or the 125's, 1 1/2" cut. Killed a 1000# 345" 6x5 bull in CO with 2 full passthrus at 38 and 42 yards. Bull went 40 yards an died. These heads fly like darts also!

Also used them on some big critters in Africa with great success!

Comment

I have killed a bunch of elk with a 125 XL silver flames.

Comment

G5 Montec 100 grain, all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              Smoke Ramcats, 100 grain 1 3/8" cut or the 125's, 1 1/2" cut. Killed a 1000# 345" 6x5 bull in CO with 2 full passthrus at 38 and 42 yards. Bull went 40 yards an died. These heads fly like darts also!

Also used them on some big critters in Africa with great success!
                              It sure is hard to beat those heads. I’ve killed a pile of animals with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X