What is the current path to citizenship now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the current path to citizenship now

Not to derail the Kasich thread (or AJ TP's 1million smileys), what is the current path to citizenship? If I were an immigrant, what would I be required to do to become a legal US citizen?

Understanding the Process of Becoming a U.S. CitizenIn this section, you will find a general description of the naturalization application process. Before you apply, be sure

Comment

So basically there is laziness run amok. 11 million people don't want to complete 10 steps, and the gov't doesent want to process 11 million applications and other steps?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        So basically there is laziness run amok. 11 million people don't want to complete 10 steps, and the gov't doesent want to process 11 million applications and other steps?
        Now you're getting it... I helped a friend get his last year..

Comment

Yep.

Comment

what is the current path to citizenship?
            The ability to cross the Rio Grande River.

Comment

If you double that 11 million number, you still only be barely halfway to the real number.

Comment

No

There are limits. Many of these people come from a country where they don't trust the government. So, they don't trust this one either.

It's not that easy.

Comment

Laziness run amok? Seriously?
                  For an illegal to become a citizen is far more difficult, time consuming, and much more expensive than simply "following ten steps".

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    The ability to cross the Rio Grande River.
                    & apply for Welfare

Comment

Sort of, a non citizen must first have a permanent residency visa before applying for citizenship. That in itself is not an easy thing to get. Now out of those that have permanent residency but do not apply for citizenship its because they don't want to be a US citizen. The 11 million illegals would first need to apply for a resident visa which by law is not to be granted to them as an illegal entry into the US will bar an immigrant from being in the US via the Immigration Nationality Act which is the main body of laws concerning immigrants via Title 8 of the USC and CFR.

The three year bar to re-entry into the U.S.: The three year bar applies to individuals who have been unlawfully present in the United States for a continuous period of more than 180 days (6 months), but less than one year, and who voluntarily depart the U.S. The bar is triggered by the act of departing the U.S., even if to consular process to obtain an immigrant visa. Yes, this may apply to you even if you are married to a U.S. citizen.

The ten year bar to re-entry into the U.S.: The ten year bar applies to individuals unlawfully present in the U.S. for an aggregate period of one year or more who depart voluntarily (aggregate = CIS adds up all time in US without lawful presence, even if from different periods of time and different stays). Unlawful presence begins to accrue when the period of authorized stay expires or after an entry to the U.S. without inspection. Again, the bar is triggered by the act of departing the U.S., even if to consular process to obtain an immigrant visa. Yes, this may apply to you even if you are married to a U.S. citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Snacks View Post
                        Laziness run amok? Seriously?
                        For an illegal to become a citizen is far more difficult, time consuming, and much more expensive than simply "following ten steps".
                        How so?

Steps seemed fairly straight forward to me? Where is difficulty?

Comment

How so?

Steps seemed fairly straight forward to me? Where is difficulty?
                          I'm not positive but I think you need to demonstrate you have the financial means to support yourself and have a unique job skill (hard labor isn't considered a unique job skill).

Comment

These are steps for immigration, not invasion.

Comment

I think the current path crosses just above Laredo. Im pretty sure i saw it from my airboat/.

Comment

Working...
                              X