Megatron. A legend in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megatron. A legend in the making

I don't usually do a post for one specific deer but this guy deserves it and it is an interesting year by year story so far. In 2013 we had some winter weather here in SE Ok and a this deer showed up on cameras December 10. Traditionally we don't get many new bucks that just show up. Most deer I can track back to age 2 or 3 and keep track of them as they progress each . I am hoping his story will come to an end this season.

2013-first pictures and sightings of Mega, he showed up late in the year as a large 4x5. I only had one buck tag left and was already hunting another large deer at the time and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to him. We got quite a few TC pics the rest of that season and I ended up killing Torch 2 days after Mega appeared. I hoped he would stick around the next season and we all awaited the next summer to see what he would do..

Torch (170 3/8 gross)

2014-we started running cameras in August of this year and To our disappointment megatron has not shown back up. At this point I am thinking and hoping he will show back up late that season as he did the year before. On October 9 I was sitting a food plot and had an extremely large buck make his way out around 100 yds. I didn't recognize him at the moment, I knew he was way bigger then any deer I had a picture of so far. On the way home from our ranch I started getting his picture on a corn pile from on of our MMS cameras and I instantly knew who it was! He was back and had gotten large. This year he was a stout 5x5 and looked to be very mature. I decided to dedicate the rest of my 2014 season to killing him. It was a game of cat and mouse that whole year. Mega doesn't act or do things like the other bucks on our place do. I ended passing nicer deer then I have ever had before waiting him out . We got lots of daylight pics and I had numerous sightings and was finally able to get an opportunity on November 10. I was sitting the same plot where I had my first encounter with him in October. He came running through the timber after a group of does another buck was tending to. It happened fast and I stopped him and ranged at 42 yards. I let my arrow fly and to my sick disappointment I watched as my arrow hit a limb and made impact way back and high in what appeared to be his guts. I was physicaly Ill climbing out my stand and knew it was going to be a long attempt at a tracking job the next morning. We looked for 12 hours that next day and never found the arrow, we tracked blood and what looked to be guts for 175-200 yds and found multiple beds. I kept looking the next 3 weeks every chance I got and chased buzzards on a few occasions to no avail. I though I had messed up my opportunity on this giant and had lost my desire to hunt any longer that season. On December 10 i decided to go ahead and check a few cameras to see what deer were showing back up on the farm. The first 3 pictures were him! He was back, not dead, and still looked healthy. I headed out the stand that night and I ended up having another encounter with him! He came out into a field chasing a few does and got to within 60 yards of me at one point. I was able to see where the wound was and I was shocked he was still up on his feet . I hunted out the rest of the season and never got another chance. My prediction was we were going to find him dead in the shed season. Well that didn't happen! We found both his sheds within 100, yards of each other and I wasn't disappointed, we measured them guessing at spread and he would of been around 175".

2014 trail cam pics

2015- I haven't had this kind of excitement about getting trail cameras out in the past 10 years, if you saw my earlier post you can see we had some big deer on our place this year to be looking out for, and they haven't disappointed, but the only deer on my mind has been Mega, I didn't know if he would summer on us since he hadn't done so the past 2 seasons. Well he did and he has been all over the cameras and lots of daylight pictures. He has grown into a true giant this year. I can say I am pretty sure he would be my deer of a lifetime. Once again i am dedicating my 2015 season to harvesting this deer. This may even mean passing deer up to the 150 mark .

2015 pictures

Well there it is, the story of megatron to this point . We aren't really sure on age due to him showing up fully mature in 2013. I feel like he is upwards of 7-8.

What do you guys think?

Wow that is the deer of a lifetime. Passing up 150's should be no problem when your hunting that bad boy

Comment

I agree that he's an older deer, but regardless of age, he is an absolute STUD! He's got some frame on him! I can't wait to see more pics of this giant!

Comment

that is a toad! good luck with him!

Comment

Massive deer and thats a lot of bone. Bet his neck hurts carrying all that around. Agreed on his age.

Comment

I think that deer is incredible! Wow....what a freak! Good luck on your quest!

Comment

Incredible story! I wish you the best of luck on him. Great story

Comment

Right side is kinda weak........J/K! Great buck! Good luck and I wouldn't even look at another buck if that joker was on my place. Go get him!

Comment

what a giant!

Comment

Great deer! Good luck on the hunt for him this year.

Comment

I think you are going to have an exciting season. He's outstanding.

Comment

Wow! Hes a giant!

Comment

If that does not get you excited, you're already dead. Wow--what a deer.

Comment

Makes that bad shot not seem so bad after all! Looks like he put on quite a few inches this year.

Comment

Whoa! Good luck, hope to see some ldp's of that monster!

Comment

Working...
                              X