No announcement yet.

Workplace pressure and problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at the bright side guys, at least the Texas public school system isn’t in the same shape as Oklahoma

Comment

It’s a crappy way to help prevent:

1. Schools from allowing students to advance if they have not mastered a minimum level of education for that age
      2. Schools from sliding in teaching quality without going unnoticed

I just tell my kids that this test is for the kids who are struggling. It isn’t anything you haven’t been taught, no tricks and no hard questions. Take it seriously but don’t worry, this test ain’t for kids like you.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        My daughter is taking them right now. The entire school year is spend preparing kids for this test. Not a single life skill is ever taught in school anymore.
        Thats a pretty foolish statement. I feel sorry for your daughter that, according to you, she goes to a school everyday that doesnt teach her any "life skills". We teach numerous life skills everyday on my campus.

We are administering tests at my school today, as is everyone else. I try to make it as much like any other day of school as I can. No stress, no mess. I know I have great teachers and our kids will give us their best effort. When we get results back, we will look over them, make any adjustments we may need to make and roll on. We try to be as organized as we possibly can, so everything runs very smoothly and we knock it out and roll on.

Good luck to all educators, administrators, students, and parents with all the STAAR testing.

Comment

I agree the test has had too much emphasis put on it, making it the focal point of teaching, which is a disservice to the kids. However, the test is a bit of a joke. Most students can pass it fairly easily, provided they don't get "stressed" by all the emphasis that is put on the test. Stress a kid out and many of them will fail at something they can probably do pretty easily in a normal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            My daughter is taking them right now. The entire school year is spend preparing kids for this test. Not a single life skill is ever taught in school anymore.

I went to school before the staar test was a thing. Outside of athletics, I’m not really sure what life lessons I learned. My parents taught me a bunch of them though.

Comment

No nothing about the staar test but I have gotten 3 phone calls in the last few days from a San Antonio school letting me know that 4th and fifth grade test start today. I have one daughter and she's fixing to graduate med school in June so I don't think it's about her.
              Last edited by sendit; 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

My daughter walked in last night in tears about the test today. My wife, who usually deals with the emotional breakdowns once tears are involved, was in Minnesota at the Astros game. She said she's worried if she doesn't pass she will fail the whole year. I did my best to calm her down.

Comment

Yep I’ll be administering them on Thursday. I don’t enjoy it any more than the kids do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    We have them this week also. How can education be quantified without a test? Without a test we have to trust the school administrators.
                    We should still give some type of test but it needs to be done in the first 6 weeks of the school year. When a teacher gets the results they will know who is behind and who needs more of a challenge. That would solve "teaching to the test" and let the teachers "teach to the kids". FYI: My wife is an elementary principal and is administering a test to one kid today. She was up late reading the regulations because it's been a while since she's had to do this.

Comment

Some of you would have failed the spelling portion of the test. Lol ��

Comment

I have often wondered (Ok, I have occasionally thought about this) why an evaluation system hasn't been put forth that measures progress. A test at the beginning of year and at the end. You could then gauge both improvement and absolute knowledge.

Comment

My wife is a School Counselor and she dreads this week of school. I hate it for her and the kids. I hate standardized testing and think the funding could be used in other ways to better benefit the students, schools and staff. If testing is so important why don't higher education require standardized testing. I know they have the ACT & SAT testing, but this is just to get into a school and not all schools accept them. Only thing that matters is you pass your classes each semester. I truly think that a test is not the best way to evaluate a teacher.

Comment

Had to make my daughter a special "Brain Power" breakfast this morning. One thing I know for sure, I'm 49, and she has to know a lot more as a 7th grader than I did.

Comment

The era of PC correctness is killing our educational system. Now catering to the slowest member of the herd, The United States educational system is ranked 16th ( http://www.edudemic.com/learning-cur...ort-education/ ), and dropping like a rock.

Instead of teaching subject matter & holding kids accountable, the system forces teachers to rehearse everyday for a specific test, instead of providing an overall education.

The PC police would rather teach kids how not to hurt one's feelings, instead of forcing students to learn math, science, fact based history, etc.

Comment

4x2 = 16 cats get chased by 8 dogs across a 4 lane highway on the second tuesday of the 4th month during a leap year. 3 cats get sick and lay down and 2 dogs get hit by a truck, a car and a garbage truck. Sunrise was at 6:31am and there was a Northwest wind at 7mph.

Public school has changed and not for the better, and there is NO one that could argue otherwise without taking a big heavy hit off boblee's bong.

Comment

Working...
                                X