Hunting around the Caprock Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting around the Caprock Area?

My grandpa is looking at leasing a place that is 5,000 acres and backs up to the Caprock. How is the hunting in that area? Place has whitetail, mule deer and Aoudad. Just curious how the whitetail and mule deer genetics are around there. If you have any pics of deer from the area post them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of area that butts up to the Caprock. Where exactly. An overpopulation of Aoudad will run the deer out most times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Lots of area that butts up to the Caprock. Where exactly. An overpopulation of Aoudad will run the deer out most times.

The south side by Quitaque I believe.

Comment

I grew up hunting on the cap between Quitaque and Silverton on a ranch we ran cattle on (Lemons Ranch), a few miles south of 86 in Lingos Canyon. ROUGH country. If you have a wheat field on top, it's money. Like Mudslinger said, lots of aoudad are fun, but they'll run the mule deer off. I don't know how whitetail react to them. There were no whitetail in that country when I was growing up. They've moved in more and more the last few years. Lots of hogs there.

It's FUN hunting those canyons.... until you shoot something down in the canyon and need to pack it out.

If you guys need a couple more hunters to fill the lease, give me a shout. That's one of the few areas that I'd consider giving up my Sutton County axis lease to move to. I love hunting those canyons. Whether you need to fill any spots or not, give me a shout if you'd like. I may be familiar with the ranch and could tell you more.

Genetics vary. I've seen HUGE 36" wide deep-forked 4x4s, and I've seen mature forks and 3x3 culls. Average bucks are 4x4s or 4x3s that score 140-160". The whitetail in that area these days are large bodied Kansas-type deer. Racks can be pretty nice occasionally too.
        Last edited by Shane; 01-26-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Like Shane said, Aoudad are a killer to Muleys and according to the large landowners around Post, they will run the whitetail off also.

There are also some giant Muleys and Whitetails anywhere off the Cap or on top in the wheatfields, just depends on what has been hunted on the place before or not!

Comment

Good deer around Post!

Comment

Good deer can be had on the places not overhunted. Relatively low populations. Prob a buck to 1000-1500 acres per year would be recommended harvest.

Comment

Listen to Shane and give him a call. It’s absolutely my favorite place to be. I honestly just love being there but the animals are pretty impressive.

Comment

Brad, I recognize that second pic!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                    Listen to Shane and give him a call. It’s absolutely my favorite place to be. I honestly just love being there but the animals are pretty impressive.

Wow those are some great animals. We will see if he is able to get it leased or not. He’s been working with the landowner about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                      Wow those are some great animals. We will see if he is able to get it leased or not. He’s been working with the landowner about it.

Do you mind me asking what he is asking per acre? Just curious what something would lease for next to the park. You can pm me if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Brad, I recognize that second pic!!!!!!!
                        Ha! I believe Gabe and I shot bucks on the same evening that night so it was a bit of a text war. I love that pasture as well. My buddy Dustin has had the rabbits foot here lately. He had a hell of a season.

Comment

Do you mind me asking what he is asking per acre? Just curious what something would lease for next to the park. You can pm me if you prefer.

I’m not even sure yet. There are a few little details that need to be worked out before they even start talking price.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Good deer can be had on the places not overhunted. Relatively low populations. Prob a buck to 1000-1500 acres per year would be recommended harvest.
                            ^This. I see people putting too many people on places up there sometimes, and it doesn't work out well. You either have several hunters going home empty-handed, or everybody ends up killing all the young bucks just to put something in the truck and they quickly shoot the place out. Don't over-hunt it, and it'll be sweet.

Comment

Those are some great trophies! Love the area along the caprock, awesome country.

Comment

Working...
                              X