Wild turkey recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild turkey recipes?

I have 3 wild turkey's breasted-out and legs in the freezer. My son has another one. I want to bring them to my son's college graduation party. The "deal" was a friend of his Dad volunteered to cook, I was volunteered to bring "dead animals". I have pig, elk and other goodies, but I want to find an easy recipe.

Somebody told me to cook them in a covered pot with Molle sauce and water all day long to make them tender. I'd love to find a way to marinate them for a couple of days so they can go on the grill and not wind up like leather.

I come to TBH for all the answers!

Slice the breast into thin slices, and chicken fry them. This is the only way to go with wild turkey. Grill the legs.

Then, get a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, and wash it down with a little whiskey and Water.

-crb

Comment

inject the birds with butter sauce

Comment

I love to cut the breast across the grain, season to taste and Chicken fry it. Make some cream gravy and it is Muy Bueno........

Comment

I prefered mine fried like chicken.

or

Couple fingers of turkey a few icecubes and a splash or coke.

Comment

I chicken fry mine in bacon grease and coated with Lousiana hot and spicy fish fry.

Comment

Chicken fry is def. the way to go with the breast meat. Marinate with La hot sauce, italian dressing, garlic powder and tonys. Can't help you with the legs, i always throw them away.

Comment

I like my Wild turkey with a little ice and a splash of 7up

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
                  I love to cut the breast across the grain, season to taste and Chicken fry it. Make some cream gravy and it is Muy Bueno........
                  What he said! Dont forget the milk gravy -- that's what makes it soooo gooooood!

Comment

Do you bread them before frying, or take out of the marinade and put them into the oil? I'm assuming the turkey doesn't get tough. While I was hoping not to be cooking at the party, I'd probably get itchy standing around drinking and not doing something. Recipe below, fry in what kind of oil in my disc cooker?

How about some way to prep and cook a small 'pocket pig' I just shot in the disc cooker too? I lost a shoulder from the 30-06 damage, but have the rest in the freezer. I don't want to mess with my smoker or cooking overnight since we'll be up when the bars open at 6am on graduation day.

Comment

Regarding the turkey, I do not use a marinade -- although I marinade just about everything else. I simply batter with a list dusting of flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry. Save a little of the oil at the end to make a milk gravy in the same skillet and serve. Simple, but delicious!

Comment

With wild turkey it does not come out tough without marinating it?

I spoke with my son tonight, he was asking me if I could put all the turkey into my smoker ahead of the party and bring it up and reheat it there. I really don't want to be dragging a smoker up and cooking at the event. To be continued....

Comment

I will fry only the breast of wild turkey -- legs and wings will usually go into a gumbo. The breast is surprisingly tender if one works around the connective tissue. Although there is relatively little tough connective tissue in turkey breast, you can avoid it by cutting your cutlets such that the connective tissue is on the edge where it can be trimmed. The breast can certainly be marinaded according to personal preference and I have eaten it as such (fried and grilled), and enjoyed it that way but personally prefer the mild taste of the meat when fried which allows the seasoned batter and cream gravy to stand out.

Although I have not tried this yet myself, I have eaten a gumbo (chicken and sausage) where marinaded and heavy-smoked turkey legs, wings, and necks was added that gave the gumbo a distinct flavor and zip. It was excellent!

Comment

put turkey breast in big zip lock bag. marinade with italian dressing and roasted garlic tabasco for a couple of hours. take breasts out of bag. shake on some uncle chris' steak seasoning, dredge in flour and drop em in the grease! serve with green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and iced tea! Dont forget the homemade cream gravy. MMMMM! I'm hungry!

Comment

I strip them out like tenders dip them in beer batter and fry them up with some bown gravy and taters.

Comment

Working...
                              X