mesquitecountry... You need to make this Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mesquitecountry... You need to make this Chili

Remember like 1,000,000 years ago when we were talking about chili powders and dried chiles and I wanted to make my first liquid base chili... um, I found one, and it is amazing.
    I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't.... all I can say is wow. Best chili I have had in a long time and I knew you would respect this recipie...

Recipie courtesy of the "Homesick Texan"

Seven-chile chili
    Ingredients:
    6 anchos
    2 pasilla
    2 costeñas
    2 guajillos
    4 chiles de arbol
    2 chipotles in adobo
    4 pieces of bacon
    4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 large onion diced
    6 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 cup of brewed coffee
    1 bottle of beer
    2 cups of water
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp clove
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 tablespoon cumin
    (For all spices, please feel free to add more to taste throughout cooking if you like.)
    Salt to taste
    1/4 cup masa harina
    1/3 Mexican hot chocolate tablet, grated

Method:
    Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble (Don’t worry if you opt to eat a slice—you deserve it!) and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.

Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, and mix in the coffee, the beer, two cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.

Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.

When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).

After five hours, take a Mexican hot chocolate disc, and finely grate 1/3 of it into the pot. Scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.

Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.

Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

Simply amazing, and if you have the time, DO IT!!

Sounds good, but I'm from Iowa and I can't pronounce half of the ingredients

mole

Comment

[QUOTE=mole;1872881]Sounds good, but I'm from Iowa and I can't pronounce half of the ingredients

I agree and Im Texas raised

Comment

Good grief! Sounds awesome! Some things in life are worth the effort! Chili is one of them!

Comment

That sounds GREAT!

How hot is the stock version of this Hilly? 1 alarm, 2 alarm, holy crap!, or "dude I'm blind in one eye"?

Comment

I bet it depends on your chilies, all of them are "relatively" mildish...
            It packs heat, but isn't unbearable....

I like hot food, though...

Let's just say it would be good on a cold day

Comment

just made this chili this past weekend very good i just added two habanero and one jalapeno to add a bit more bit.

Comment

sounds great

Comment

This chili is delicious, my fiance made this chili from a recipe that was given to her by a friend who's mom was from mexico. This is by far the best chili I have EVER eaten!

Comment

being from Canada...i just know this would burm my taste buds clear OFF!!

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

I'm gonna make this at the ranch this weekend! Sounds delicious!

Comment

I've been trying chili recipes lately and this one looks amazing. I'll have to give it a try.

Comment

sounds great

Comment

Wow. If reading that recipe didn't conjure up images of a lot of toilet paper I'd love to try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X