Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about plastic welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about plastic welding?

I’m trying to get my pool heater manifold fixed from the freeze. There are no parts available in the US. It has a crack that I’m trying to see if anyone knows if it can be fixed by welding the crack up.

Would a product like flex seal & the like not work??

I would think 3m & lok-tite might offer something if heat resistance is needed??

Comment

JB Weld or Belzona

Comment

3m 5200

Comment

Maybe call Boedeker Plastics in Shiner Tx, they've welded poly tanks for people in the past, they might weld your manifold back together.
          Last edited by 1longshot; 03-16-2021, 03:35 PM. Reason: .

Comment

My boss has been working on his in our shop for 2 weeks... tried everything. Only thing he got to work was fiberglass repair kit from Home Depot. It is working now with just a small drip every few minutes. You have to put the hardener/fiber on it then sand it then more hardener/fiber and more sanding, so on and so on. He did this for a few days, our shop smelled like a paint and body repair shop. Same issue back ordered until August or something like that. Dremel tool for sanding.

Comment

I believe his was actually made of fiberglass. You have to sand it to tell its not plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by East6101 View Post
                I believe his was actually made of fiberglass. You have to sand it to tell its not plastic.
                I guess I might give that a try

Comment

I had friends buy my pool parts out of state and ship in as they wont ship to Texas . If that don't work pull heater off and pvc a loop to bypass the heater till you can find parts later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                    Maybe call Boedeker Plastics in Shiner Tx, they've welded poly tanks for people in the past, they might weld your manifold back together.
                    I will give them a call. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                      They said they do not do it any longer

Comment

Belzona all day .

Comment

The problem with plastic welding is you have to use the same plastic. There are a ton of different ones...............

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                            I’m trying to get my pool heater manifold fixed from the freeze. There are no parts available in the US. It has a crack that I’m trying to see if anyone knows if it can be fixed by welding the crack up.
                            I wonder if we both have the same issue. Mine leaks under the heater only while the pool runs. Not a lot but enough to make it a little soupy near the heater slab.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                              The problem with plastic welding is you have to use the same plastic. There are a ton of different ones...............

This right here ^^^, is truth.

Got any pics of the cracked unit you can post?

Comment

Working...
                              X