Anyone carry nighvision with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone carry nighvision with them?

I've been thinking about getting a nv monocular to throw in my backpack when deer hunting. Would be fun to see what's under the feeder before sun rise, or sneak in to the stand without lights. Anyone use them?

How much would I have to spend for a half decent one?

You will be much happier with a binocular vs the monocular if you get a chance to test both. Gen3 will be $5k-$10k. I prefer white phosphor unfilmed vs standard green nv. I have the L3 NV binos below and I am very impressed. Great image quality

Last edited by bermise; 10-18-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I use a pair of ATN NVG7 2nd gens. Can be found for around 1800 - 2000. Have heard some folks knock the ATN's but i've been pleased, have been rough on them and they're still working good 5 years later. Whatever you purchase, order you a Surefire brand IR flashlight to go with it, be amazed at the illumination from it on cloudy or moonless nights.

Comment

To each his own, but I like my monocular. I have a PVS-14 that works great for getting to the blind in the morning, getting set up in the dark,knowing that noise i think is a sounder of pigs is actually a lone armadillo, and I can mount it on the rail of my crossbow after dark for pigs as well. Also good to know the area is clear before you leave an evening hunt. Using NV will cause your eyes to adjust, and going back and forth on both eyes will leave you blind momentarily in the darkness/low light.

Comment

I have the ATN bino-X binoculars and I love them ! they are about 400.00 dollars, money well spent !

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
            You will be much happier with a binocular vs the monocular if you get a chance to test both. Gen3 will be $5k-$10k. I prefer white phosphor unfilmed vs standard green nv. I have the L3 NV binos below and I am very impressed. Great image quality

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnv-sentinel-b...hite-phosphor/
            Those are the cat's meow right there.

Comment

I have Russian made tasco gen1 binos used them for 20 plus years and finaily craped out , but they served me well over two decades . ordered some ANT`S last week and hope there good ones .

Comment

I have a $150 mono that I bought during Black Friday at academy. Nothing special but I can see under feeder plain as day. Deer/coons/rabbit/pigs....all eyes glow crazy and you can see them no problem.

Comment

Thermal is really nice for this
                  You get a really clear picture of what is fauna vs flora

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                    NV will be better at identifying details on persons/animals, thermal is best for detection.

Comment

I bought a Stealth Cam NV at Walmart for $118. It was clearance out at that. Tried it out this weekend. Works great out to 100 yds or so. I bought it for scanning under feeders at night for pig hunting, but it also works for food plots and fire breaks before legal shooting light. And the GW can't accuse you of deer hunting since it isn't weapon mounted.

Comment

About 10 years ago I purchased a gen 1 mono-nocular for this reason.

All the noises I was hearing from up high in my climber before sun rise, I just knew it was ole mossy-horns walking around down there toying with me.

Then comes the mono nocular- turns out it was mostly coons and possums making all the noise.
                        In time the gen 1 glazed over and turned all white.
                        Oh well, money well wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                          For seeing what's under the feeder: yes
                          For walking to the blind in the dark: no

Comment

Comment

That takes away the excitement the shadows of small shrubbery and background trees provide in the way of an illusion of a huge 12 point standing majestically just beyond the feeder....

Comment

Working...
                              X