Building a high FOC arrow... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This all started a few months ago that started with avid reading of FOC threads and ended with the purchase of 12 Carnivore's from TBH's own muddyfuzzy. However, I keep breaking them. I get it, arrows break. But a less expensive arrow hurts less when it breaks. My wife bought me an arrowsaw for Christmas and I found a really good deal on inexpensive Velocity XT shafts.

Here is the arrow I plan to build:

Velocity XT shaft 28.25" (8.8 grains per inch)
    Acculite Insert-- 11.4 grains
    50 grain FACT weight
    Blazer vanes (3x 7 grains)
    Nockturnal nocks (20 grains)
    100 Grain BH

According to Goldtip's calculator this would give me an FOC of 13.8%

Is this an OK setup? My main concern is the 50 grain weight added to the standard insert but I'd rather not pony up for different inserts when the shafts come with standards.

BTW with the acculite nocks it puts the FOC right at 15%

Several questions.

1. What are you doing or shooting at to break the Carnivors.

2. Can't say much about your new set up. No bow or spine info. If you have done all this and spine is correct. Then it's fine

3. Why are you worried about the weight added to the back of the insert. That's what it's designed for.

Comment

My bad.

1) I shoot a lot of pigs... a LOT of pigs. I don't blame the arrow. I blame the amount of shots I take on animals.

2) Elite 35 @ 68 lbs 30" Looking at 300 spine arrows.

3) Not worried just wondering.

Comment

Go with Deep impacts and their stainless outsert

Comment

Originally posted by Handsome View Post
          Go with Deep impacts and their stainless outsert
          Really??? Did you even read my OP?

Comment

Originally posted by pigops View Post
            really??? Did you even read my op?

Comment

Enewman posted about wall thickness.
              Have you tried an arrow with a thicker wall?
              I use the FACT weight myself. I like it.

Here's my setup.
              30" Gold Tip Pro Hunter 340, I know it's on the bubble Eric :-)
              Standard insert
              50 grain FACT weight
              3 blazer vanes
              Lumenock
              125 grain Magnus Stinger
              They weigh 499 grains my I forget my exact FOC, I think it's right around 15%.
              I've thought of trying the Beman Porkchop Arrow. But haven't yet.

Comment

Research the wall thickness. Yes I read the OP. You can't give me GT. They might be tough but you'll always get the 1-2 out of a doz that won't group. I've only broken 3 BEA DI's since 2011.

Comment

What about their xt's they are supposed to be within .003 straightness. The light gpi of the black eagles has me a little hesitant to try them. Almost like it is too good to be true. How can a carnivor shaft have 8.7 gpi and an axis have 9.7 gpi. No point in worrying about a high foc arrow if it wont stand up to heavy bone or glancing shots when you need the hfoc arrow for penetration.

I am not saying black eagles are brittle I am just expressing my concern with such a light gpi arrow. Lighter than industry standard.

Comment

I use Carnivores, both 250's with 70 grain inserts and 300's with 50 grain inserts depending on which bow I'm using. 125 grain fixed broadheads, 30-5/8" carbon to carbon. I have taken 15 or so deer and hogs this season alone. All have been complete pass throughs and several have hit bones on quartering shots. Two of the arrows have broken but only after hitting rock after going through a deer in one case and a hog in the other. I would not hesitate to use them on any North American game.

Comment

The Deer Crossing arrows are tough as well.
                      I've found the BEA and Bloodsports to be brittle like you mentioned

Comment

I am not saying the carnivores are more prone to breaking. I understand that they are an excellent arrow. I understand that some of you use and love them. They have been great for me too. This year I have killed 8 pigs in one week alone (all at night-- this is also not normal, although I do kill a LOT of pigs every year)... Where I hunt I'm also asked to kill coons, opossums, armadillos, etc... I don't need an expensive arrow. The GT appeal to me because I can get the same arrow at different price points for different uses.

Again I do not need recommendations, just a couple of answers.

At 68# (Energy 35), would a 300 spine arrow still be correct at 28.25" with 61.4 grains in the front and 20 grain nocks in the back?

Thanks for all your help!
                        Last edited by PigOPs; 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

You should be fine with the 300

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                            I am not saying black eagles are brittle I am just expressing my concern with such a light gpi arrow. Lighter than industry standard.
                            There are different option across their product line that will have a greater wall thickness in the same spine as another shaft.

Personally I shoot the 300 Deep Impact at 11 GPI, how's that wall thickness for you.

Also the new Spartan line will have a a thicker wall and higher GPI even though it is a smaller diameter shaft. I'm expecting this to be a huge seller this year. Randy Kitts and the guys tested this one exclusively on Elk this year prior to release with awesome results.
                            Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 01-03-2016, 06:53 AM.

Comment

grizzlystiks. 470gr arrow with a 180gr broadhead.

Comment

Working...
                              X