Handheld release vs wrist release ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handheld release vs wrist release ?

Never shot a handheld release and noticed a lot of people use them. Was wondering the pros and cons of both. Which one do you shoot and why?

I shoot a wrist release and a D loop. I was in a pop up this past winter and went to clip my release on my string... luckily I didn't have to make the shot. I looked down and had clipped my release BELOW the D loop...

With a hand held, (not sure which models) it can be clipped on the D loop and left there until you're ready to draw.

I'm considering getting a hand held just for another backup...

Comment

I shot fingers for so many years that when I did try to shoot a hand held release (Hot Shot) I let go of the release and it went crashing against the fence. I still have it but cannot shoot with it to this day. The wrist strap is the only way for me.

Comment

I shoot both (TruBall Boss X and Scott Sabertooth) but I prefer the TruBall. I seem to be able to shoot better, draw and left down easier, hold longer, and you clip it on you D Loop and hang your bow while hunting which allows hands free and makes it easier to surf the GS.

Comment

I started shooting a handheld about a month ago and really like it. I traded on here for a tru ball pro diamond and a chappy boss and really like them both. Looking at trying a few more to get the feel for what I really like.

Comment

I'll admit I wanted to shoot with a handheld release really bad. Got a nice true ball off of another TBH member and I had it for about 2 weeks. It did what it was supposed to but I couldn't ever get consistant anchor points with it. Ended up trading it off as I was much better with a strap. I did find that when I went to a hook style release instead of the caliper style my groups seemed to shrink a good amount. Maybe think about giving something like that a try

Comment

I switched to the handheld last year and i love it. Seems easier and smoother to draw back and let off if you have to. REALLY like being able to put it on d-loop and leave it there till ready for shot. I still keep my wrist strap in backpack cause I know the day is coming when i bump it just right and that thing falls off the d-loop and crashes to the ground!

Comment

What are your opinions of the benefits of each? Does either increase your draw length? I wouldn't think so, but just keyboarding while I'm thinking.

Comment

The two main reasons I shoot a wrist release:

1. It's strapped on to my wrist, so I can't drop it while hunting.

2. As soon as I take it off my wrist, I strap it on the riser before I put the bow away. The next time I take the bow out of the case, I will ALWAYS have my release.

Comment

I have the same habit. Never lost and never a doubt.

Also never tried a handheld so I have no idea what I'm missing on.

Comment

I like that I can clip it to my loop and not have something dangling off my wrist the whole time I'm in my stand.

Comment

I've got both. For me, the handheld is more accurate as it's easier for me to get that surprise release. I went from decent groups to, holy crap, that was close, almost ruined an arrow!

Comment

It will not affect your draw length, only your anchor point. More than likely it wil feel very awkward and it will feel like you are searching for an anchor point. If that is the case, more than likely ou can decrease your draw length and it will be better.

Most people start with and stay with a wrist strap because it is most like a rifle trigger, and easiest to get started with. That is not saying they are bad, cause millions of archers shoot lights out with them. It is just saying they are far more common that a hand held, thumb trigger or hinge style release.

If you are going to make the switch, start early so you have plenty of time to make the changes necessary to make it work. You could have to change draw length shorter to get a consistent anchor, change anchor points totally, move sight pins and things like that. So you don't want to run out of time before la big event, and have to go back. That of course if just my opinion.

Comment

Shoot whatever you can get used to are comfortable and consistent with.

I CAN tell you it is not great when you drop your handheld out of a climbing treestand, at about 28' up, with deer coming in on you!

I shoot a wrist strap...now.

Comment

I shoot a handheld, but it is actually connected to a wrist strap. I dont draw with my wrist. It is just so it cant fall out my hand or off the d-loop. I have only been shooting it a few months but enjoy the way it releases so far. It does take some adjustment after shooting a wrist strap.

Comment

Working...
                              X