No announcement yet.

Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall 1974, I was working as a supply clerk at an ammunition factory in Karnack, TX. We started having problems with some workers who were refusing to go to several of the remote bunkers to work due to the presence of red wolves. It got so bad that management stated threatening to fire anyone who refused to work at any of the bunkers. Then, they actually did have to fire some people because people were really scared of the red wolves.

They called out some game biologists, and were told that they were either seeing feral dogs or coyotes as red wolves had been extinct in East Texas for many years. So then management brought in a trapper/hunter to take care of the animals who were hanging around the bunkers scaring people, but weren't red wolves.

One of the conditions for the trapper/hunter was that he had to bring any animals he harvested to the warehouse for photos and measurements, as well as examination by the biologists. It didn't take him long to start bringing animals in that he had shot, anyone could see these weren't dogs or coyotes - they were wolves, and they had reddish colored fur. The trapper/hunter would bring a couple of wolves in every couple of days, and the biologist kept complaining that red wolves were extinct in East Texas.

Taught me to be careful about taking the word of experts.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
      Ive seen red foxes at our place in Duval Co. Totally though I was mistaken until some older gentlemen told me that they've been seeing them for years. I thought they were only present in the N/NE parts of the state...
      got a few that I frequently see in my pasture in Liberty Hill

Comment

Some people have never seen a coyote it seems. I guess these same people will say this is a coyote too.
        Attached Files

Comment

Got some big ones up in Idaho.

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Some people have never seen a coyote it seems. I guess these same people will say this is a coyote too.
              That's what I'm thinking. A Google search of "red wolf vs coyote" makes for good conversation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                  Here is my wolf
                  That's just a big male yote. Killed several like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                    Got some big ones up in Idaho.

wow!!! man, that is huge!!

Comment

Apparently there is no suck thing as a red wolf.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post

They had posted he was 182 pounds. 182 or not that's a hoss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            They had posted he was 182 pounds. 182 or not that's a hoss.

I saw a white one around that size in Northern Saskatchewan on a bear hunt. It looked like a Shetland pony gliding thru the trees.

Comment

I have video of what I think was a red wolf in S. Texas from about 10 years. Looked exactly like a coyote but about 3 times as big. Don't know if it was a big coyote, hybrid or a red wolf.

Comment

I was working summers on the Sabine Refuge from 80-84 and there was a government trapper trapping red wolves and sending them to Washington. I saw him bring in several. Once you see a real wolf you won't ever wonder again if it's a coyote or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X