Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Chest Repair

Ok people, this was taught to me by my buddy HogWild76, "Sean"
    This is an excellent idea and i have put together some images and instructions to doing it.

We all have had this happen and pretty much think the chest is ruined.
    But now there is hope.

We all have some sort of strap we are not using laying around the house.
    Any kind of "Nylon strap".

Cut a couple of pieces the size of your hinges.

Burn the edges of it so it wont fray on you later.

Remove the old hinges and keep the screws.

Place the nylon on the chest and screw through the nylon into the same screw holes where the hinges came off. *Now if you have stripped holes you can move over some for new holes. Also on a small 2 hinge chest you can add 3 nylon hinges instead to beef it up, and on larger chest you can add four instead of three to beef those up.

Now you have a good working chest with hinges again that will not rot.

Hope this helps some of you guys out.
    Here is an image of my "Brand New" 120 quart that was ruined out at KJO when i slipped in some mud and fell on it breaking all the hinges.
    It is like new again and working great. Thanks to some engineering by a buddy of mine. Sean aka HogWild76 or what the KJO hunting party calls him Coony .

Clean and simple. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

We've always used innertubes to do the same thing. I may like your strap idea a little better.

Comment

Acadamey sells those hinges. FYI

Comment

But this way is recycling and taking advantage of existing items. I like it! Going to use it on one I have here. Thanks for the idear

Comment

Ive done the same, leather from an ole pair of boots works good too. No more squeak when you open the chest.

Comment

that is what i do to mine to. heck with them plastic hinges

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
                Ive done the same, leather from an ole pair of boots works good too. No more squeak when you open the chest.
                I've seen some done with leather that I think held up better than the original plastic hinges.

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                Acadamey sells those hinges. FYI
                LOL ... I was like a kid in a candy store when I found them at Academy!

Comment

several of my ice chests are rigged, one has hinges of leather, one of an radiator hose and holes on the bottom filled with 5200 marine adhesive. I hate to spend money on a new one if I can salvage it !! I have a 150 quart we use going offshore and the nylon trick has worked well for many years, its the screws that back out if you dont put adhesive on them.

Comment

My thoughts are, why buy new plastic hinges when they are going to break again real soon. But nylon or even leather and rubber will outlast those plastic ones any day.
                    You can't go wrong if your not spendin money on repairs

Comment

good idea

Comment

I can't give the 5200 a bigger endorsement. I use it all the time, and even thought it says to use in 24 hours I keep it in the refrig for a very long time.

I sticks to about everything, some things better - it does ok on coolers, and helps prevent the water staurating the insulation in the cooler.

RMR

Comment

Academy sells replacements

Comment

Great idea.I would add small washerd so the screws are less likely to pull through the nylon.

DJ

Comment

I can remember when igloo used to give the hinges and latches away. Free repair. Now they are like $5 or you can buy a whole replacement set(hinges, strap, latches, stopper) for about $15. Thanks for the idea though. Im sure I will be using it one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X