Insurance Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Claims

Don't know the validity of this, but it was sent to me by an home appraiser buddy of mine.

Hurricane Harvey Damage Claims Info:

Most of you who have been damaged by Hurricane Harvey have probably never heard of HB 1774. You can read it at the following link, and if your home was damaged, you should read it: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...pdf#navpanes=0
    So WHY does this law matter to people who suffered property damages from Harvey? During the 2017 Legislative Session, state lawmakers made some significant changes to the laws that are supposed to protect and help property owners recover for losses after a storm like Harvey. These changes are not friendly to property damage victims and can significantly hamper your ability to hold your insurance company accountable if they slow pay, low pay, or no pay your otherwise valid claims. Should you need a lawyer to help resolve your claims, you might also be unable to recover some or all of your necessary attorneys fees in a dispute with your insurance company thanks to the new law.

If your property was damaged the time to act is NOW. The new law goes into effect SEPTEMBER 1, 2017. This law will make it harder for you to get a timely, fair payment on your claims, but if you provide notice of your claims NOW, you can take advantage of the old law.

To take advantage of current Texas insurance law protecting property owners’ with regard to damage claims resulting from Harvey, policyholders MUST send a written message or email directly to their insurance company that specifically references their claim; AND is dated BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2017. I would encourage anyone effected by Harvey to send an email and a letter through US Mail with delivery confirmation to their insurers. Telephone messages are not adequate to give written notice. You should also keep a copy of whatever you send to your insurance company.

Doing this will protect your rights should your insurance company (rather predictably) low pay, slow pay, or no pay your valid claims. Once August 31 passes, you will be stuck in the same battle with fewer remedies available to you.

Give notice NOW.

Along with other useful information, fax numbers and addresses of where to send the notice of claim can be found at http://www.tdi.texas.gov/

Can someone validate this? I have several friends and family with MAJOR storm damage. I know they have been in contact with there insurance companies but not sure they have submitted anything in writing.

Comment

Fake news.

Comment

From what I can tell. HB 1774 limits what someone can sue an insurance company for if the insurance company has denied or underpaid or is taking forever to pay out a claim. It could become a problem if it emboldens an insurance company because they don't fear the consequences.

Comment

The law targets people that are exaggerating claims and suing insurance companies saying they were ripped off by the amount of money they received from their insurance claim. If you hate scumbag personal injury lawyers, you like this bill.

A tort-reform bill that would discourage property owners from suing insurers over weather-related claims tentatively passed the Texas Senate on Tuesday.

Legislation backed by the insurance industry and some Texas business groups that curtails the ability of policyholders to sue insurance companies over
          Last edited by 35remington; 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            The law targets people that are exaggerating claims and suing insurance companies saying they were ripped off in the amount of money they received from their insurance claim. If you hate personal scumbag injury lawyers, you like this bill.

A tort-reform bill that would discourage property owners from suing insurers over weather-related claims tentatively passed the Texas Senate on Tuesday.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../17/451407.htm
            I hate big insurance paying out big bonuses and under paying claims.

Comment

Is hurricane water damage covered under homeowners or must you have flood insurance coverage? Wind damage may be covered under your homeowners but water damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That was a facebook post by a trail lawyer from Dallas. The law he's talking about is an attempt to curtail frivolous lawsuits. It will require folks to wait 60 days before they sue their insurance company. Many ambulance chasers have gotten into the habit of filing suit right off the bat. That puts them on the payroll, so whenever the claims are finally settled (it'll probably take longer going the lawsuit route rather than the normal route) the lawyer will get a big cut out of the proceeds. If you want to make sure you can file a lawsuit against your insurance company ASAP and give 30% or so of the money you eventually get to your lawyer, then you better get that letter in the mail quick.

Consider the source before you panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  If you want to make sure you can file a lawsuit against your insurance company ASAP and give 30% or so of the money you eventually get to your lawyer, then you better get that letter in the mail quick.
                  Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    That was a facebook post by a trail lawyer from Dallas. The law he's talking about is an attempt to curtail frivolous lawsuits. It will require folks to wait 60 days before they sue their insurance company. Many ambulance chasers have gotten into the habit of filing suit right off the bat. That puts them on the payroll, so whenever the claims are finally settled (it'll probably take longer going the lawsuit route rather than the normal route) the lawyer will get a big cut out of the proceeds. If you want to make sure you can file a lawsuit against your insurance company ASAP and give 30% or so of the money you eventually get to your lawyer, then you better get that letter in the mail quick.

Consider the source before you panic.
                    Thank you. So many people blaming the insurance companies before they even know what they're talking about. This is actually good for the consumer and is long overdue.

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    Is hurricane water damage covered under homeowners or must you have flood insurance coverage? Wind damage may be covered under your homeowners but water damage?

If the water damage is caused by an opening that was created by wind then generally your home insurance policy will cover it. Flood insurance covers rising water in an instance where 2 or more adjacent properties are affected.

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                    Just like those **** oil company executives, huh?
                    Last edited by Etxbuckman; 08-28-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Comment

This is to stop the abuse by plaintiff attorneys on frivolous law suits not to keep insurance companies from paying on claims. If you are insured with a reputable company you will be taken care of. I will say please be patient it is going to be a mess for everybody including the insurance companies. Flood insurance is not covered on hazard insurance policies. I am willing to bet the vast majority of the claims will be from flood. Praying the rain subsides and the flood waters begin dropping and yes I am an insurance agent.

As far as huge bonuses and underpaid claims, Huggybear. I now nothing about that. But I am an insurance agent and I work hard at taking care of my clients and I don't make a huge bonus and we don't under pay claims. Our adjusters are great at what they do. So before you make broad sweeping statements about insurance companies realize there are good people and good TBH'ers who make a living taking care of people in the insurance business. I do realize there are some bad ins. companies and bad agents but try to see the good in a bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Hunter View Post
                          This is to stop the abuse by plaintiff attorneys on frivolous law suits not to keep insurance companies from paying on claims. If you are insured with a reputable company you will be taken care of. I will say please be patient it is going to be a mess for everybody including the insurance companies. Flood insurance is not covered on hazard insurance policies. I am willing to bet the vast majority of the claims will be from flood. Praying the rain subsides and the flood waters begin dropping and yes I am an insurance agent.

As far as huge bonuses and underpaid claims, Huggybear. I now nothing about that. But I am an insurance agent and I work hard at taking care of my clients and I don't make a huge bonus and we don't under pay claims. Our adjusters are great at what they do. So before you make broad sweeping statements about insurance companies realize there are good people and good TBH'ers who make a living taking care of people in the insurance business. I do realize there are some bad ins. companies and bad agents but try to see the good in a bad situation.
                          He's a refinery operator so my guess is he's getting big bonuses from over pricing oil.

Comment

How many homeowners in Houston carry a separate flood insurance policy? If you're in a flood zone, the mortgage holder will require it. They do for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              How many homeowners in Houston carry a separate flood insurance policy? If you're in a flood zone, the mortgage holder will require it. They do for me.

Not near as many as you would think, I imagine. Lot of people are going to be getting disaster loans from FEMA here soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X