LED Light Bars - Relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Light Bars - Relays?

I am going to be installing some small cubes and a 30" on our mule.
    I have done small cubes on the old mule and I did not use relays since they don't draw much power. But on the newer mule I want to be more careful, at least with the bigger bar.

Does everyone use relays for them or not?
    Also, on a Trans Mule 3010, there isn't much free dash space. Does anyone have pics of where they put their switches?

Look at how much current you light bar draws, and the rating of your switch. If the switch isn’t rated for that current, then you need a relay.

Comment

The guy I use as my "go-to" is the lead installer at the company who installs all the lighting for police cars. They have some of the biggest contracts in the state so his knowledge of accessory lighting is vast.

He said to ALWAYS use a relay to protect the machine, battery, and lights.

I installed my switch under the seat in a hole that was already there. Fit perfectly and kept wires short. Also allowed me to mount relay close to battery to also cut down on running wires.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive used this relay and wiring kit on several installs, has two leads for dual lights.

Comment

Had not thought of under the seat, that may work just fine. Also thought of putting a plate over the cubby hole on the left of the steering wheel. Would keep my father in law from filling it w/ "stuff".

I found this wiring kit https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Wirin...arness+nilight

But I have already bought these switches https://www.amazon.com/XT-AUTO-Rocke...tch+Kit+5-pack

I wonder if the switches I bought would get in the way under the seat, or get hit too easy. Just thought they would be easier for my father in law. I am always doing something so I know I'll find a use for the switches somewhere if I don't use them on the mule.

Comment

I got everything I needed at Oreilly for around $40 and the wiring was much heavier duty that the thin pre-wired kits you can buy.

Comment

Is that $40 a kit, or multiple kits?

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                  Is that $40 a kit, or multiple kits?
                  I bought everything I needed to wire-together my stuff for $40 usinf 12 ga wire.

Comment

That may be the easiest, I have one relay and the switches already. Main concern really is placement of switches. I do see the benefit of under the seat, less wire to run.... Guess I just need to get off of my tail and do it now.

Quick unrelated question: Where is the horn on the TransMule? We have the button, but nothing happens. I am wondering if the horn was an option we don't have. Want to hook it up for father-in-law to use when he's calling the cows. And just to make the mule obnoxious a little.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                      That may be the easiest, I have one relay and the switches already. Main concern really is placement of switches. I do see the benefit of under the seat, less wire to run.... Guess I just need to get off of my tail and do it now.

Quick unrelated question: Where is the horn on the TransMule? We have the button, but nothing happens. I am wondering if the horn was an option we don't have. Want to hook it up for father-in-law to use when he's calling the cows. And just to make the mule obnoxious a little.

Mine is at the very front passenger side near the radiator.

Comment

Does the ground need to be 12 ga. too or would 16 work for that? I know the heavier wire is needed for the power draw, but wasn't sure on ground.

Comment

12ga is probably overkill for all of it, but I always go heavy for peace of mind. 16 would be fine.

Comment

Thank y'all for all of the advice. Will try and post pictures up when I get it done.

Comment

I have a wiring diagram at home I can post tonight so you can do it yourself and know exactly where things go.

Comment

Working...
                              X