Controlled burning and planting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlled burning and planting

I burned 15 acres to make a field for doves. I'm planning on throwing milo and sunflowers. Would I need to till or disc plow, or can i just throw seed.

disk,smooth out, broadcast, and cover(with a cultipacker if you have or drag something) for best results

Comment

If you wait until the middle of August and just throw it on the ground you'll have lots of doves !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        If you wait until the middle of August and just throw it on the ground you'll have lots of doves !

And lose my weapon and a big ole fine lol

Comment

I'm wondering if I disc and plow this year. Will I have to be doing it yearly? This property is just vacant for the most part so want it to be for dove season mostly. Don't have cows or any other livestock running around. Have water and gravel roads. May make a pond in there a bit wider and add couple hundred pounds of gravel road inside.

Comment

Sunflowers you may be to late

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Sunflowers you may be to late
              No. Sunflowers mature in 90-110 days. He is way too early.

OP, if you plant native sunflowers, and let them come to seed, you should have sunflowers every year. I tried the Millet and Peredovik sunflower last year, and didn't get one sunflower plant. Not sure if the sunflower seed was bad, or if the millet just shaded it out. The millet comes up quick and was thick. I used a dove plot mix from MBS seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                No. Sunflowers mature in 90-110 days. He is way too early.

OP, if you plant native sunflowers, and let them come to seed, you should have sunflowers every year. I tried the Millet and Peredovik sunflower last year, and didn't get one sunflower plant. Not sure if the sunflower seed was bad, or if the millet just shaded it out. The millet comes up quick and was thick. I used a dove plot mix from MBS seed.
                I was told by Jay t Turners seed that Natives need to be planted while still cold for them to come up good. I know I disc our dove field around Mid December per his instructions and they come up good. Not sure about the other sunflowers though.

Comment

Natives will need to be planted in fall to early winter. They need cold weather to start the germination process.
                  Some of the other species can be planted in the spring but may not be as good reseeding from year to year like native sunflowers.

Comment

I'd at least disc. The germination rate will be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I was told by Jay t Turners seed that Natives need to be planted while still cold for them to come up good. I know I disc our dove field around Mid December per his instructions and they come up good. Not sure about the other sunflowers though.
                      Ah! Never planted native. Probably won't since I rotate spring/fall plots for deer, and early planting native sunflowers would interfere with my spring deer plots.
                      Last edited by Ironman; 03-23-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I'm planting today before the rain tomorrow. I plant black oil sunflowers, and get the $15/40# BAGS from TSC. You need to be able to cover the seeds. If you can get a no till drill, you could go that route, or you will need to till the ground, spread, cover.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          I'm planting today before the rain tomorrow. I plant black oil sunflowers, and get the $15/40# BAGS from TSC. You need to be able to cover the seeds. If you can get a no till drill, you could go that route, or you will need to till the ground, spread, cover.
                          Won't that mean your sunflowers would mature by July 1st? That's a long way from Sept 1st.

Comment

PRESCRIBED BURN WORKSHOP
                            Friday, April, 21, 2017
                            Van Zandt County Farm Bureau –Canton, Texas
                            $20.00- Please RSVP by Monday, April 17th to the
                            Van Zandt County Extension Office (903) 567-4149
                            WHAT IS A PRESCRIBED BURN? Prescribed burning is a management tool
                            widely used by foresters, parks departments, range and wildlife managers, ranchers and other
                            landowners to manage excessive natural fuels under very specific and safe conditions.
                            Schedule:
                            8:00 - 8:30 – Registration and coffee
                            8:30 - 8:40 - Welcome and introduction of presenters
                            8:40 - 9:25 - Why burn? Fire history and fire effects – Chris Schenk, TPWD
                            9:25 - 10:10 - Planning a burn (including weather and fire behavior) – Larry LeBeau, TPWD
                            10:10 - 10:20 - Break
                            10:20 - 10:45 - Tools, equipment, and resources – Heidi Bailey, TPWD
                            10:45 - 11:15 - Burn Contractors – Kevin Bowman, Bowman Land Management
                            11:15 - 12:00 - Safety, Liability, and the Law – Jason Ellis, Texas A&M Forest Service
                            12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch and travel
                            1:00 - ??? - Demonstration burns –
                            Those intending on attending the afternoon demonstrations are asked to wear leather
                            boots, jeans or cotton pants, long sleeve cotton shirt and leather gloves.
                            “Texas A&M AgriLife Extension provides equal opportunities in its programs and employment to all persons, regardless of race, color, sex,
                            religion, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.”
                            The Texas A&M University System, US Department of Agriculture and the County Commissioners Court of Texas Cooperating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Won't that mean your sunflowers would mature by July 1st? That's a long way from Sept 1st.
                              Not based on my previous plantings. I planted end of april and wasn't ready by Sept 1. Always better to mature too early than too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X