any how to on making a forge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any how to on making a forge

Ok I am not the type to just dive right into somthing I have to have some general understandings and know what it will take to do a good job ( or at least decent ) befor I) will get itno somthing. As alot of you have seen I do leather work and have done some leather work for some knife makers. As time has pasted I have wanted to make my own knife but from what I see a forge of some kind will be needed to aneal and retemper the steel as I go. That being said any ideas on a basic one. I have welders torch cut off saw grinders and all the basic metal fab tools so building one I am hoping will not be a big deal these are some basic plans I had for one (dont laugh) using a five galon propane tank.
    Attached Files

An suggestions welcome
    Matt

Comment

not sure on your air pipe configuration I would go to youtube and see some of the forges there. also you will need to line the forge to keep it from rusting out too quick.
      also trad gang has a knife makers forum FILLED with great how to's and pics as well.

Comment

matt, for the air intake go find you an air mattress pump. the electric kind. hook it up to your intake pipe with clamps or whatever it will work like a champ.

weld some hinges on your door so you can close it, it will help ALOT with heat retention just tack a horseshoe or something up to it for a handle. find those firebricks we were talking about and put them in the bottom to insulate it and cut a hole through them for your air flow the just stick a piece of expanded metal over it to protect them.

if you have any farrier friends get forging coal from them, it should save you money because it doesnt burn as fast and it burns hotter than normal charcoal.

other than that your set up is right on

Comment

Here's my version of a propane/air fueled forge.

Propane tanks are use alot, but you want to go the other direction. Cut the ends out of the tank instead of the sides. This will allow you to get the swirling action inside the forge for an even heat by putting the air inlet at a tangent to the forge. Square forges tend to cause hot spots throughout the blade, same will happen if you put the air and gas inlet at a direct 90° into the forge. To line the forge use insawooll Ellis knifeworks is a good source for this.If you use kaowool you will need to line it with satanite. For good adjustable doors buy some forge firebrick from forge building supplies such as Ellis. All this said if you are planning on using a stainless steel a forge will not work. Stainless requires very steady temps for certain amounts of time. Carbon steels 1095,01,1080,1084 5160 ect are the steels you want to use with a forge. When it is up and running full tilt the satanite is glowing white, it passes red and orange and will be pure white.
          supplier site

Before insulating

After and notice the swirl

Top view

Gas and air mixture chamber that goes into side of forge

I made ends with insawool and satanite insulation but will order firebricks for easier opening adjustments.
          Last edited by doublearrow; 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

If you are wanting a coal fired forge, my post won't do you much good. I posted the propane fueled forge because I think they are just as easy to build and easier to tune. I know it's tuned right when it sounds litterally like a jet engine, my neighbors aren't fond of it.

Comment

Check out the popular mechanics website, they built a forge a few months back, and they gave great detailed plans. you could modify to fit your needs.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                X