Finding God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding God?

Been going through a really rough patch lately. My wife told me she wants to get divorced out of the blue on Fathers Day.
    Came as a shock to all our friends and despite many people trying to help, nothing has changed.. Part of our problem has been i border somewhere between agnostic and atheist depending on how mad i am at the world. She claims to be Christian but not a regular church goer. Today i bumped into a man i know who listened to my trials and we had a long discussion about church, religious devotion and how you need to put God at the center of your marriage. Well i sure never did that, and when i mentioned my discussions today and how my church going friend wanted to pray with us she blew up. Stormed out and said it was over no matter who was praying. She said given my past lack of faith this was just a ploy to win her back. Now im conflicted because the lack of faith was a problem. i was down, felt a bit of a peace during my discussions with my friend, and when i shared it, the reaction was horrible. Kinda put me back in my mad at the world place pretty quickly. All that being said, how do you find God? How did you keep the faith so to speak? Were you down and reached out?

I think that's a feeling that has to come from your heart. If you don't believe in God then don't. She's already made up her mind sounds to me like.

Comment

I have always believed. but have been through some tough times in the past and had my own struggles and questions. A book that really helped me answer some of the toughest questions was called "A case for faith" by Lee Strobel. Lee is an Athiest turned Christian after his own investigation after interviewing scientists, and several scholars in the Christian community. I bought the CD's at the time to listen to in my car, I never have time to sit down and read. Good luck with everything, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I know that is tough to hear right now, but I am confident it will all work out for you. https://leestrobel.com/about/

Comment

Brother I grew up as a pastor's kid. My loathing and hatred of church and christianity started at a young age, always felt it was being shoved down my throat. God works in mysterious ways. I spent years wallowing in my own contempt. When my life was at the ultimate low I remembered a verse from sunday school as a child...Matthew 7:7-8 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Some of us are tested more than others including myself, but my faith keeps me going.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          I think that's a feeling that has to come from your heart. If you don't believe in God then don't. She's already made up her mind sounds to me like.
          Yep.

Comment

As to your question, seek him and you will find him! I am probably one of the least "qualified" to answer your question on here but I can guarantee you he is everywhere and if you believe he will be there for you. I know there are people on here that can better answer your question.

The difficulty with faith IMHO is that you must understand that having faith does not mean you are granted everything you want. I struggled as a young adult after the loss of my mother to understand why she was gone. I strayed even further from God after her passing than I had already been doing prior. At that point in my life, there was no God in my mind. I prayed and plead that he take me in her place but that did not happen. I could not understand why such a wonderful person would be taken.

I now believe/understand that God has a plan for all of us. Sometimes the plan is hard on us but if you believe in him you will find an inner tranquility that can only be found through him.

Having said all this I still struggle to walk the path which I believe the Lord out lined for me. But I know he is there and will forgive my transgressions if I truely repent them.

Prayers up for you and your family. May you find him and be granted comfort/tranquility.
            Last edited by Pedernal; 06-30-2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Sounds to me like you found your way to God. Talk with your friend who helped you find your peace.

Comment

Sorry your going through this. Folks like to justify their actions and I'm guessing your wife is too. Hopefully it'll work out but any change in your belief system should be for you, not someone else.

Comment

You're faith in God or lack of has nothing to do with your wife. Get a relationship with God if you want one. You've probably already lost the one you had with you're wife. Is your new belief, or interest in God dependent on weather or not your wife stays with you? If she leaves will you still seek God or is He just a last resort for you to try and save your marriage?

Comment

Pray, pray, and then pray somemore. Once you truly accept him as lord and savior he will show you the way and what he has planned. I would be willing to say your wife is fighting some demons of her own and her reasoning of wanting a divorce was easy to blame on your faith or lack there of. Keep praying and seeking God. Hope it all works out for you.

Comment

I will pray for you both!

Comment

Sorry brother. Sounds like multiple kicks to the you know what!! Crisis should/will cause us to reevaluate. As far as a relationship with God, that solely has to be a decision you make. Trying or not trying to follow God cannot be based on what others do. My prayer is that God meets you in a totally overwhelming way! As far as your wife, I am praying for healing for your marriage. If you have the heart for it, fight for it. Meet with a counselor by yourself and begin to make the changes you need to make. I will join you in praying that she will find hope and seek the changes she needs to make. Then our hope has to be that the marriage will be restored. Praying for you. Go shoot some arrows and take some time in your happy place.

Comment

Hughiam, I could not even imagine my life without GOD. To answer your question GOD is where you find him. Buy a Bible, take one from a hotel, borrow one from a friend. Read it. Start with the Gospels, try the Gospel of John first.

Even better, start with Genesis. Read Psalms, they are the Praises/Songs to GOD, lot of good stuff there. The Bible says, If you search for GOD, you will find Him.
                          Its good that you are looking/searching, thats where it starts.

If you have any questions there is a bunch of people on the Green Screen that love the LORD. You may also pm me if you like. Ask questions.

Comment

Man, tough situation you are in. I will pray for you both also.

God is great and we should trust in his choices.

J

Comment

Originally posted by ontarget View Post
                              I have always believed. but have been through some tough times in the past and had my own struggles and questions. A book that really helped me answer some of the toughest questions was called "A case for faith" by Lee Strobel. Lee is an Athiest turned Christian after his own investigation after interviewing scientists, and several scholars in the Christian community. I bought the CD's at the time to listen to in my car, I never have time to sit down and read. Good luck with everything, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I know that is tough to hear right now, but I am confident it will all work out for you. https://leestrobel.com/about/
                              Great book and was made into a great movie “the case for Christ”

Comment

Working...
                              X