Trail cam review and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail cam review and a question

So in the past two seasons I’ve been more than pleased with my browning trail cams. Picture quality is good to great and battery life with quality batteries has been better than anything I’ve had before.

So this past week I realized I was missing one, I text my cousin and asked him if he happened to pic one of mine up at a little place we shared. Sure enough he had it. So Sunday evening I sit down and look the card over. I had reset it right at the end of this past season (January) I don’t recall what my delay and pic settings were but as I was clicking through the pictures they went all the way into when he picked it up, in the beginning of September.

Generally my settings have a two to three picture burst and a delay of anywhere from a minute to five.

I was impressed that forgotten camera had been taking pictures all summer and never missed a beat.

That said, last night me and the fiancée were talking about placing more cameras away from feed sights this year. The question is, how many of you are seeing a pattern of bucks that NEVER actually come into feed?

I know it happens, it happens year after year. I just have a hard time keying in on where else to place the cameras. Travel corridors for sure and I have a natural spring I’m going leave a camera at this year also.

I really like my Browning TC.

Throw some hand corn out and set a cam on it. Put it near trail you know deer use. I have some bucks that won't hit feeders but every buck/deer has hit the hand corn.

Comment

My hand corn/stand location is 100 yds from a feeder. All of the young bucks hit both. Mature bucks only hit the trail and hand corn.

Wherever your main set up is just toss some corn for one shot zone and the trail will be your other shot zone.

Comment

That’s been a thought also, glad to hear.
        Some of the places I’ve hunted in the past the deer nearly refused to hit the feeders. So hand corn was about the only thing we had luck with.

Sadly, the lease I have now, the Foreman has a rule that all deer have to be shot from the blind. And only one blind per hunter. It’s tough but over all it’s a great place.

Comment

I put my cameras well back from the feeder to catch one that won’t go near the feeder.
          But I have seen some of the biggest bucks in the pen too. I ferl like my resident bucks are all on camera. The big cruisers during rut are not necessarily jumping in my oen.

Comment

Working...
          X