Food plots and hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plots and hogs

Is putting in food plots where wild hogs are around going to get eaten/torn up by the hogs before the deer get any benefit from it? Is there something that is good for deer that hogs won't touch?
    Just trying to expand my resources for the deer but I do have pigs wondering around too. Just don't want to waste a bunch of money, time and energy for nothing.

Interested myself.

Comment

I don't know much about the food plot issue. Use to work alot with farmers and I had one tell me he switched over from winter wheat to oaks because the hogs wouldn't tear up the oat like they do winter wheat.
      I have never had hogs tear up where I have planted clover, but then again, I never got my clover to come up very well either.

Comment

You can fence the hogs out, if you just gotta have a plot.
        Personally I would just build several feed pens with hog panels and start pouring protein pellets to them. Maybe some cottonseed after the rut. Good luck.

Comment

I have had good luck with wheat, oats, and clover. If you plant any type of bulb (radish, turnips, etc...) the hogs will destroy it. The small the seed the better. I would suggest wheat and clover.

Comment

I grow plots on four different places. Probably 12/13 acres in all. The hog damage from rooting is negligible. I have one plot that the hogs do a little rooting in, and it's a clover plot, but it has some kind of nut grass in one end of it, and they are going for the roots on that grass. They have eaten my wheat more this year than ever before. Between them and the deer, the wheat plots looked like putting greens all winter long. Now that it's warming up, the wheat is growing again. If you plant any kind of grain, (wheat, oats, rye) as soon as the heads ripen they will be in there eating the seed heads. I don't let mine ripen because I'm ready to disc them under and plant spring/summer plots about the time wheat starts to head out. I plant soybeans and IC peas, some sunn hemp this year, and I've never had a hog problem in those crops. Good luck !

I guess every place is different, but I've planted brassicas and purple top turnips and neither the deer or the hogs ever touched them. I even pulled some out of the ground and they were untouched.
            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-08-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
              I have had good luck with wheat, oats, and clover. If you plant any type of bulb (radish, turnips, etc...) the hogs will destroy it. The small the seed the better. I would suggest wheat and clover.
              I have mixed radish and turnips in my plots for at least 5 years and haven't had hogs mess with the bulbs at all. And they are in the plots every night grazing on the oats. Even the cows don't eat on them when I turn them in to plot after season.

Hogs will root around after the seed when planted but after that, for the most part they don't root much in the plots. They like to graze on the oats.

Comment

I should add that I have had them (in one location) eat the seed right out of the ground. I can't plant corn, they will root it out and eat it. Beans and peas have to be planted at a greater rate and covered well. That's only in Trinity Co. that I've had them eat bean and pea seeds. My other places haven't proved to be a problem .....yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                  I have mixed radish and turnips in my plots for at least 5 years and haven't had hogs mess with the bulbs at all. And they are in the plots every night grazing on the oats. Even the cows don't eat on them when I turn them in to plot after season.

Hogs will root around after the seed when planted but after that, for the most part they don't root much in the plots. They like to graze on the oats.
                  I wish I had your luck. I had a half acre plot with turnips destroyed in one night by hogs.

Comment

Looks like it just may be trial and error testing. I'll just take small steps in case the hogs decide they love to tear up the food plot. If so, I'll start looking at the cost of fencing off food plots. Putting up feeding pens with protein and corn is a problem because of all the darn raccoons. I have raccoon proofed the corn feeders but not sure how I would do that with protein feeders. I do have some interest in the cottonseed idea as they would leave it alone.

Comment

Never really thought about it but I get very little to no hog / food plot damage.. plant soybeans in the spring and oats / clover in the fall. added turnips this past fall but nothing touched them ..

I fenced off my feeders 6 weeks ago so that have an impact on the food plot with the hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                        I wish I had your luck. I had a half acre plot with turnips destroyed in one night by hogs.
                        Also had turnips with alot of hogs and hogs never touched it.

I would venture to say something else was in the soil they wanted.

Comment

I get very little rooting in my food plots after they are seeded and cultipacked in. They will root around in the freshly tilled dirt if I don’t immediately get the seed in. I never get rooting after my plots start coming up, but they will root around the edges of the plots in the untilled dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                            I get very little rooting in my food plots after they are seeded and cultipacked in. They will root around in the freshly tilled dirt if I don’t immediately get the seed in. I never get rooting after my plots start coming up, but they will root around the edges of the plots in the untilled dirt.
                            My experience also. Just gotta hope they don't root for the seed before it comes up

Comment

I dont think hogs have ate on my turnips but the deer have ate the heck out of them. I have seen them on trail cam pics with small turnips in their mouths.

Prolly corn would be the worst to plant as them hogs will go down the rows and root up the seeds.

You can plant Cowpeas and should not have a problem, but I can give you some info that might help. Pick out the area you are going to plant and spray with 5% Gly. Do not shred it before spraying! Why? Gly will not have an affect on Nut Grass if it has been mowed, the Gly must be absorbed through the stalks to get to the "nuts" in the dirt. Because if you have Nutgrass, wild onions or Johnson grass them dang hogs will root that plot up right quick.

Buy a night vision scope and hunt over your plot every couple weeks to keep the hogs scared, it will keep the activity down some. Also keep several extra bags of seed around, you will need it for over seeding when they do attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X