Trailer issue help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer issue help?

I just recently noticed a big problem with my 6x12 single axle. When unloaded it shakes back and forth something fierce. I took it the other day to pick up some treated lumber to rebuild my fence. It rode fine then, I do notice that they fork lift loaded out quite a bit of down pressure when trying to unload the fence pickets. Not sure if he may have tweaked something, but the issue appears to originate from my drivers side which is where he loaded from. The trailer has a 3500lb axle and I don’t feel that it was overloaded with what I put on it. Today was the first time I’ve pulled it empty since it was loaded down and that’s when I noticed the shake.

What are some things you would look for to diagnose the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your tires

Comment

Hangers could be tweaked and the axles would then be misaligned to cause unequal tracking, resulting in shaking. A busted/tweaked up rim would do the same thing. Did you not take a look at it yourself to get an idea? We would all be guessing. Pictures would help.

Comment

Jack it up and see if you have a loose wheel bearing. Wiggle the wheel back and forth.
        Last edited by boh347; 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiroHuntR View Post
          Hangers could be tweaked and the axles would then be misaligned to cause unequal tracking, resulting in shaking. A busted/tweaked up rim would do the same thing. Did you not take a look at it yourself to get an idea? We would all be guessing. Pictures would help.

Haven’t had a chance, It will be a few days before I can start to inspect it.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            Haven’t had a chance, It will be a few days before I can start to inspect it.

Okay well let’s hope it’s a cheap fix for you so you can save the funds for more hunting etc.

I’m sure it’s something like a worn outer bearing. That’s cheap - catch it early and it won’t cost a new axle.

Comment

Is the trailer level when it's hooked up to the truck?

Comment

check bearings, but I bet it's a tire starting to separate.

Comment

Probably broke a shackle bolt or you got a bad tire.

Comment

May be a broken leaf spring, a broken hanger bolt or leaf spring bolt or just a bad tire.

Comment

Start with the simple stuff:

When was the last time you did any preventative maintenance?

Check the wheel bearings, inspected the springs and all fasteners?

Next, look at your tires. Look for bulges, cracks or anything like separating.

People have it in their mind that it doesn’t matter when it comes to trailer tires, this is an incorrect assumption. All hiway service tires need to be balanced. They will skip and bounce, causing accelerated tire and bearing wear. It’s lazy, foolish and wasteful not to balance your trailer tires, not to mention dangerous.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Sounds like tightening of bolt to axle is in order, see if tires have slack.

Comment

Possible bent rim? Should be able to see when rolling.

Comment

If the above does not work, check the axle for alignment. Take a string with a weight, I use fishing weight. Tape the string in the center of the ball hitch and let the weight hang down..like a plumb bob. Then pick a point close to the hub on the axle. This point needs to be the same on both sides of the axle. You can use the axle mount spring pad as a point. Measure from this point to the plumb bob, it should be with in a 1/4" or so.
                            Is this a tilt trailer?

Comment

Load to far back had a boat one time had to move gas tank to the front to drive
                              60 mph might need little more weight upfront

Comment

Working...
                              X