Welder & welding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    As a rank amateur, do you think spending $1200 bucks on a welder is a good idea not even knowing how to weld properly? Just asking. I do not know basically nothing about welding, but want to learn!
    Get the Eastwood 175. I consider myself a very good hobbyist welder. I love mine. It compares well to the millermatic I used for years. It is 1/3 the price. Works on dual volatage and comes with an aluminum spool gun. Check for videos and reviews online.

Comment

If you were closer I would give you a crash course in welding in a day. Any type you wanna learn. I been welding for 22 years for a living and I do nothing but tig weld daily but I have done it all and certified for all from flux core, stick, mig, sub-arc, and tig. All I do now is tig weld stainless and exotic metals. Mig will be great to learn and build anything you want in the garage. Get with MJ(txpitdog) and ask him. I talked with him and he bought a miller mig machine a couple months ago and he loves it.

Comment

Miller 215 multimatic
        Arc,mig and tig
        110-220v

They hold there value well
        Another option Esab rebel 215

These two are hard to beat.

Comment

To the guys recommending the Miller 211, is a Lincoln LE31MP a decent enough option for a couple hundred dollars less?

Comment

Look at the Miller or Hobart 140. For a hobby guy, this will do pretty much any thing you will need to do and much cheaper than the 211.

Comment

Im going to say Lincoln, Miller, Hobart 140 as well. Not many people as a hobbiest are going to need to weld over 1/4" steel. Even then, you can do it in a couple passes. Save your money and buy a 120v machine. You still need to put down another $100-200 on a gas tank filled.

Comment

Check out the Hobart 210 MVP, it is also made by Miller and will run off either 110 or 220 at a cheaper price, around 800$. Blain’s Farm and Fleet had them on sale not long ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

I learned some tips watching this guy

And this guy

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                    Well, it really depends on what you are welding. Wire is great for some things and sucks for others. You may be better served with a stick machine, but it depends
                    Great point...I got both and stick gets used 75% of time..Mig for thin stuff.and lots of welding out of wind..Probably just me..
                    HOBART 150 handler 220v

Lincoln Tombstone (cracker box) OLD AC machine

Comment

Also checkout www.weldingtipsandtricks.com

Jody puts out a video every week that deals with some aspect of welding. Very good source of info.

Comment

I love my 211.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lethal Injection View Post
                          Check out the Hobart 210 MVP, it is also made by Miller and will run off either 110 or 220 at a cheaper price, around 800$. Blain’s Farm and Fleet had them on sale not long ago.
                          yep i got this and its cheaper and will do anything u will ever need it to

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            If you were closer I would give you a crash course in welding in a day. Any type you wanna learn. I been welding for 22 years for a living and I do nothing but tig weld daily but I have done it all and certified for all from flux core, stick, mig, sub-arc, and tig. All I do now is tig weld stainless and exotic metals. Mig will be great to learn and build anything you want in the garage. Get with MJ(txpitdog) and ask him. I talked with him and he bought a miller mig machine a couple months ago and he loves it.

Yes sir, Hogslayer78 has helped me out a bunch. You should see some of the work he does with tig. Very slick. I also have a Miller 211 and recommend it highly. You can run it on your 220v with gas at home, then use gasless fluxcore on 110 out at the lease. The Miller 211 only weighs 38lbs and is very transportable. You will like the auto set feature as well.

I’ve been welding only 3 months with no instruction other than help from Hogslayer78 and YouTube. Check out videos from chucke2009, weldingtipsandtricks, Weld.com, and kevinacaron. Lots of info available.

There’s a lot of folks with way more experience than I have, but if I can help answer any questions from the perspective of someone who is also just figuring all this out I am happy to help.

Comment

I have owned a couple hobby level welders. I had a Lincoln arc welder in the 90's but sold it and bought a Clarke 130EN MIG in 2003 because my garage at the time didn't have 220V outlet. I can add gas but never did because I don't really weld that much. My dad was a welder by trade but we didn't get along so I never learned from him. I wish I did because he was good. He would make semi-annual trips from PA to TX to weld on tankers. He used to say if you can draw with a marker you can MIG weld, but he was old school and arc was his favorite LOL. I am talking back in the 70's to mid 80's here. I really want to buy a new welder and learn to TIG once I get a garage built.
                              Last edited by stickbowcoop; 04-09-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Very happy with my Millermatic 135 welder, runs off 110v and handles most everything I throw at it. If I had 220v in my garage and had some spare cash laying around, I would go with the Miller 211.

Comment

Working...
                                X