Go cart rebuild along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go cart rebuild along

Picked up a go cart "for my son" on friday for $150. Needs a bit of worm, but after draining and refilling the gas tank/carb, working a little magic on the kill switches and replacing the spark plug, the motor runs strong! The sprockets didnt line up right, the brake system needs a bit of work, needed new tires, and the whole thing needs a fresh coat of paint. Should be in it for less than $300 once its all said and done. First up is the cart as i got it:

https://youtu.be/EkJJ_Mk0Ey0

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Picked up some harbor freight tires/wheels for $5.99 each. The white rims arent going to go with my planned color scheme (dark metallic blue/lime green), so i sand blasted them and powder coated the rims, sprocket, and brake drum. The entire cart will be powder coated when im done!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Comment

You do your own powder coating? That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
        You do your own powder coating? That's awesome!

Yep, got started doing cast bullets, then moved on to yeti style cups. Now that the cups have slowed down to almost zero, I have time to tinker with some of my own stuff!

Comment

That looks awesome. I've been wanting to coat my big yeti bottle.

Comment

Lookin good! Wish had another oven set up, I'd get back to playin with my powder coat stuff again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              Lookin good! Wish had another oven set up, I'd get back to playin with my powder coat stuff again.
              Mine is just a electric kitchen oven with a cracked glass top i got for free. Takes forever to heat up, but works well after that.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                .....The entire cart will be powder coated when im done!
                it looks really good so far, I'm curious how you are going to powder coat the frame, or something that big in general?

Comment

Your work looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Steel185 View Post
                    it looks really good so far, I'm curious how you are going to powder coat the frame, or something that big in general?
                    Once I get it operational and make sire everything is good, I am going to disassemble it. A friend of mine built a large oven for powder coating. It is 4'x4'x7'. He built the oven and I built the control circuits. He has a side business building and powder coating jeep accessories. Im going to purchase a portable media blaster ($35 from harbor freight) and blast the whole frame, then take it to his house and powder coat it. It is way too big to fit in a blasting cabinet and too big for my oven. Ill have to do the main frame, seat frame and roll cage in his oven (if i decide to keep the roll cage).

More pics coming soon. Today I plan to cut and reweld the brake bracket and motor mount. Then put everything together. If the weather holds, i should be able to give it a test run this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                      Your work looks good
                      Thanks!

Comment

^

Comment

Well, i gave it my best shot, but my little 125A flux core mig combined with my horrible welding skills just couldnt get the job done. I gotta go into qork tomorrow morn for about 30 mins and after that, i plan to habe a coworker weld the motor mount back on for me.

Cutting the bracket off

Dont forget your gloves! They could save you some skin, blood, and pain!

Here is the brake bracket that has to be relocated.

Everything cleaned up and ready to weld!

Admitting defeat isntfun, but this shoukd make it much easier!

Last edited by fishingsetx; 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Need to have a live axle and twin McCullough. Looks great as you have it!!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                              Need to have a live axle and twin McCullough. Looks great as you have it!!
                              Oh, live axle is planned in the future along witha torque converter and tire upgrades. The kits are just our of my budget at the moment or there would be one sitting under it now!

Comment

Working...
                              X