Unexpected college fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected college fee

Just when I thought I saw it all !!!!!!!

My son took an internship at Northrop Grumman. It lasts from Jan until August. So he is taking the spring semester off.

So he (well I) had to pay nearly $650 so he could NOT take classes that one semester and stay enrolled in the aerospace program.

What a heck of a way to tell kids to get a job and save money for school. Start them off taking their first check or two.

I call BS10

Rant over.

After you're done calling BS10 don't forget to send them the check

Comment

Interesting. What University is he attending? My son is going to A&M and he is also doing his internship right now (from December - August) so he isnt taking any other classes this spring, but I havent seen anything yet showing I have to pay to keep him enrolled in school.

Comment

Count your blessings your unexpected expense is only $650.00

Comment

An internship was a requirement for my degree, and I had to enroll in an internship “class”.

This allowed the university to still charge me for the bus system, rec center, etc. despite me being 300+ miles away and not using those services.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            After you're done calling BS10 don't forget to send them the check
            LOL Thanks for the support

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            Interesting. What University is he attending? My son is going to A&M and he is also doing his internship right now (from December - August) so he isnt taking any other classes this spring, but I havent seen anything yet showing I have to pay to keep him enrolled in school.
            A&M
            The wife paid it. I'll try to see how. where, when the charge came up. Maybe your wife hid it from you also LOL
            Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Count your blessings your unexpected expense is only $650.00
            THIS unexpected expense. There's been many many more..trust me. Most of them are just BS7-9's This one takes the cake...At least so far

Comment

I'm well aware of the "unexpected" expenses. I've already put one through and on my second one. That's why I said count your blessings it's only $650.00.

Comment

What degree is he going for? When I was getting my construction science degree from A&M the internship was a class so there were still some cost associated.

Comment

Yep, if you are getting college credit, better believe you are going to pay for it.

If no class credit, then i would call BS11!

Comment

That sucks....I have to pay to go to the hospital for clinicals for part of my school and work for free for a 12 hr shift every week. Mind you this is the same exact work the hospitals pay me to do when in there as a nurse and not as a student...that really sucks lol oh yeah then I get to complete written assignments about it. Theyyl get their money for sure.

If it helps we have to do the same thing for daycare lol. If we don't pay a chunk over summer when he's not there they give his spot away
                    Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 02-28-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                      Yep, if you are getting college credit, better believe you are going to pay for it.

If no class credit, then i would call BS11!
                      He just texted me and said he had to sign up for 1 co-op credit. Basically it keeps him registered as a full time student. For some majors you can combine 2 of these credits to receive a tech credit but that doesn't apply to his major.

So maybe BS10.5

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                        What degree is he going for? When I was getting my construction science degree from A&M the internship was a class so there were still some cost associated.
                        My kid is COSI too. The internship is part of the degree plan, so there is no "extra fee" to stay enrolled.

**Guess I may have misread the OP's post and the "extra fee" part. I knew the semester would not be free, since we are paying for the internship course and any extra fees associated.**
                        Last edited by texan16; 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I tried not to get too worked about it when I learned of this. My son's degree plan required either getting an internship or taking another class in it's place. My son found a job with no help from the school and then we got to pay tuition for a class he didn't take. It is what it is.

Comment

My kid is COSI too. The internship is part of the degree plan, so there is no "extra fee" to stay enrolled .
                            There’s no fee to stay enrolled because he is already enrolled in the internship. There’s cost associated with it still. My intern just confirmed it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              LOL Thanks for the support

A&M
                              The wife paid it. I'll try to see how. where, when the charge came up. Maybe your wife hid it from you also LOL

THIS unexpected expense. There's been many many more..trust me. Most of them are just BS7-9's This one takes the cake...At least so far
                              While I was at A&M in CE college I had the exact same thing. It was part of their co-op program for which you get a 1 credit hour and you had to complete a report of your experience and get it approved by the employer.
                              As I was paying for college I opted out, but had to re-enroll the following semester.

Comment

Working...
                              X