Question for TBH Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for TBH Marines

So some guy is saying he was in the Marines, in Iraq. Says he was on active duty for 6 years, and now is in the Reserves for 6 years. Says he's not going back to the middle east, he's "done with all that."

What questions or "red flags" would tell whether or not he was actually in the Marines, WITHOUT him suspecting why you are interested? Maybe asking where he was in boot (San Diego/Parris Island)?

That's a good question. You can also ask him about a few famous Marines like Lt. General Chesty Puller, Gunnery Sgt Carlos Hatcock, John a Lejune, or Dan Daley and see what he comes up with. Could also ask when he went to Iraq, what unit he was in, what was his MOS, and where he was in Iraq.

These may get you something if all else fails, I'd ask him what is the name of his reserve unit and where is his HQ. Only army has six year enlistments. Marines have four unless they changed something in the last ten years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The above is a good start but I was in the USAF and know who all but Daley are, had to look that one up. I've read both of Hathcocks books. We also had the option of a 6 year enlistment when joining, I thought all branches had that option....

If you continue to ask him similar questions from time to time, you'll catch him if lying.

Comment

Just tell him the navy is better and the Marines are for girls. If he gets crossed eyed and takes a deep breath, you'll know

Comment

Ask ............ What was your M.O.S.

Comment

Question for TBH Marines

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
            So some guy is saying he was in the Marines, in Iraq. Says he was on active duty for 6 years, and now is in the Reserves for 6 years. Says he's not going back to the middle east, he's "done with all that."

What questions or "red flags" would tell whether or not he was actually in the Marines, WITHOUT him suspecting why you are interested? Maybe asking where he was in boot (San Diego/Parris Island)?

Or ask if he was made in Hollywood Or Paradise Island :-)

Comment

Ask him what go-fasters or a moonbeam is.

Comment

I've never been in the military but I have ran across a few obvious liars that tell stories about secret missions and doing hand to hand combat with the enemy. One guy even tried to tell me he was in the Air Force and did secret missions with SEALS and Rangers and all this stuff. If it were me I'd act like a complete idiot and come up with off the wall questions about maybe doing secret missions and things like that if you really think he's lying. If he thinks he can fool you his lies will probably get bigger and that will give him away. Just asking him where he went to basic training is hit or miss. If he lives through tall tales of going to war he might have done some research so he might actually know all of that stuff. I'd make him think I didn't know anything about the military.
                Last edited by okrattler; 08-14-2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

The above are good questions. Out of curiosity, what caused you to think he is lying?

Comment

Ask him to you show you some moves on you

Comment

If he isn't talking about boot camp, he wasn't in the Marines. ALL Marines talk about boot camp...

Comment

Ask him about his drill instructors. It has been 20yrs since my eas, and I remember their names, rank, and home state of all four. Most marines do I think. Keep in mind also that any questions you ask that are not common knowledge, will probably arouse suspicion on his part, if this matters to you. Also, you probably already know this, but go fasters are running shoes, and moonbeam is a flashlight, just so you know what context to use them in. Hope this helps, and if he someone you call friend, I hope you find him to be telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          I've never been in the military but I have ran across a few obvious liars that tell stories about secret missions and doing hand to hand combat with the enemy. One guy even tried to tell me he was in the Air Force and did secret missions with SEALS and Rangers and all this stuff. If it were me I'd act like a complete idiot and come up with off the wall questions about maybe doing secret missions and things like that if you really think he's lying. If he thinks he can fool you his lies will probably get bigger and that will give him away. Just asking him where he went to basic training is hit or miss. If he lives through tall tales of going to war he might have done some research so he might actually know all of that stuff. I'd make him think I didn't know anything about the military.
                          I'm not saying the guy you talked to was telling the truth, but it is very common to have Air Force personnel attached to special ops groups. My until had three AF personnel attached to us. The Air Force has plenty of high speed guys, they just get pimped out to other units.

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                            I'm not saying the guy you talked to was telling the truth, but it is very common to have Air Force personnel attached to special ops groups. My until had three AF personnel attached to us. The Air Force has plenty of high speed guys, they just get pimped out to other units.
                            That could be but he started off by saying that then he said "Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone that so that's between us." I'm nobody to him but obviously he thinks I'm pretty important to tell me about top secret missions. He was basically tying in other branches of the military into his stories. They were weird to say the least. He said he was Airborne....whatever that means. Most of the stories he told seemed like he took bits and pieces out of movies I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              That could be but he started off by saying that then he said "Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone that so that's between us." I'm nobody to him but obviously he thinks I'm pretty important to tell me about top secret missions. He was basically tying in other branches of the military into his stories. They were weird to say the least. He said he was Airborne....whatever that means. Most of the stories he told seemed like he took bits and pieces out of movies I've seen.

What corn sack said is correct. And Air Force can also be airborne along with every other branch of the military. But it would be weird with him saying that he did all this stuff and wasn't allowed to tell anyone but was telling you, that's about the only red flag I got from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X