Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for beetles to clean a paddlefish head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for beetles to clean a paddlefish head....

As the thread title states, I'm looking for someone with hungry beetles to clean a paddlefish head. It was a 45lb fish. The head and bill are in the freezer. Hoping to find someone around the Fort Worth area.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	25110132

Contact Cale aka Beetleguy. He's here in Forney

Comment

I don't think I would put that in beetles, at least until I researched how much cartilage was part of the skull skeleton as opposed to bone. Beetles will eat the cartilage as well. But I can't wait to see the end result. That would make a killer skull mount.

Comment

Tell us the story on the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
          I don't think I would put that in beetles, at least until I researched how much cartilage was part of the skull skeleton as opposed to bone. Beetles will eat the cartilage as well. But I can't wait to see the end result. That would make a killer skull mount.
          You may be right - I just assumed it could be done with beetles. If you google paddlefish bill there are some cool pics of the inner structures.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
            Tell us the story on the fish

This was my second time to go snagging for paddlefish in Oklahoma, the first being last spring. We get a group together and go out with a buddy's father. We're using big rods - almost like surf rods, with between 8 and 16 ounces of lead weight at the bottom. We tie on a huge barbless treble hook about two feet above the weight. As we troll along the river slowly we let the rod tip down until the weight bounces off the bottom. Then you rip the rod up, like setting the hook on a big bass. After you've "set the hook" several dozen times you begin to get a little complacent. That is usually when you nail one. At first it feels like you snagged a stump as your upward swing is abruptly halted. Then the "stump" starts peeling off line and you try not to fall overboard. We had one fish break 80# braided line because the drag was set too tight on the reel. Sounded like a gunshot.

You can only keep one fish per day, and two per year in Oklahoma. Once you tag one your fishing is over for the day. I caught and released a 30 pounder earlier in the day, but tagged this one. Numbers were down from last year for us, but it was still a fun day on the water.

Comment

No help on that front but congrats on a big Ol Spoon Bill. [emoji1417]

Comment

Aren't these a protected species???

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post

In Texas. Not in Oklahoma.

Comment

I grew up snagging spoonies in Missouri awful lot of fun and good eating. If you get it cleaned up make sure to take pictures for us.

Comment

Not in OK!

Comment

Ah! Gotcha.

Comment

Everything is free game to the backwoods Okies...lol

Comment

Brings back memories. I grew up snagging in Arkansas. Haven't been in about 8yrs though. We used to tear the spoonbill up. You could keep 2 a day then if I remember correctly. It's big-time in some areas. I have over a $1000 in my rig. I'm running and all electric setup though, and yes it's still a workout. Depending on how much the gates are open below the dam, we used to throw up to 28oz. Had to pour em ourselves cuz you couldn't find weights that big.
                            Congrats on the fish!

Comment

Should make a cool mount. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X