Kerr WMA and Kickapoo Cavern questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerr WMA and Kickapoo Cavern questions

Are there any exotics at either?My son got picked for the youth Management deer at Kerr ,says unlimited exotics. He also got picked for Kickapoo Cavern Youth deer. Just curious if anyone would know that’s been to them both.Or any other useful information would be appreciated.This is our first time at the draw hunts .Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last year there a a Nilgai shot or Kickapoo. I was there during the either sex hunt when it was shot. It was one of three nilgai that was seen in the park. Years ago there were aoudad in the park. Best thing to do is call the park and talk to the staff.

Comment

Very few exotics left on Kerr WMA. There are some trophy �� out there with big cutters...had one at 80 yards with 4”+ cutters but passed holding out for a large WT buck. Should’ve shot that boar. Biggest ivory I’ve ever seen on a boar, ever.

Comment

Very few exotics left on Kerr WMA. There are some trophy 🐗 out there with big cutters...had one at 80 yards with 4”+ cutters but passed holding out for a large WT buck. Should’ve shot that boar. Biggest ivory I’ve ever seen on a boar, ever.

Comment

Drove thru Kerr on Saturday. Saw lots of turkeys and whitetails but no exotics. My understanding is that they have been trying to shoot them out. Sure there are some but prob not a big chance of seeing one.

Look at the Mo Ranch for lodging. We stayed there this weekend. Great place and literally right next door. Also have a campground with tent or cabin camping.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
            Very few exotics left on Kerr WMA. There are some trophy 🐗 out there with big cutters...had one at 80 yards with 4”+ cutters but passed holding out for a large WT buck. Should’ve shot that boar. Biggest ivory I’ve ever seen on a boar, ever.
            The exotics are pretty shot out now on Kerr. I lived 5 minutes from the gate and hunted there as standby for gun/antlerless hunt once. They told us we couldn't kill exotics and wouldn't you know it I saw not one, not two, but 3 sika deer. Only saw one whitetail doe and there wasn't enough time for a shot. I di kill a yote though on the last morning.

Comment

I hunted kickapoo a couple years ago. Had a heard of about 12-16 goats roaming section 5 hill side. Father in law shot a couple whitetail and we got 1 ram.

Comment

We were drawn for kickapoo in two different hunts, Ive heard people say they have shot deer or got meat on the hunt but I heven't heard of anyone shooting anything good or trophy like yet. It should have some goos animals and several exotics but just haven't found much info on the hunt yet.

Comment

There are some good deer all around Kickapoo. Drove through it earlier in the summer going to do some work on another property and saw some decent looking deer as well as axis

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Where would be the best place to stay near Kickapoo? Don’t really feel like dragging a camper there. Thanks

Comment

There is nothing close to Kickapoo. Rocksprings is still about an hour away and so is Uvalde or Brackettville

Comment

Kickapoo is also one of the best "dark sky" parks in the state. Excellent for seeing stars/Milky Way

Comment

Brackettville is the closest place to stay to Kickapoo. We stayed at Fort Clark Springs in one of the Old Barracks. Nothing fancy, affordable and clean

We've hunted Kickapoo 4 times and have always come away with something in our coolers. Last time was Dec 2015 and I killed an 8 point and 2 does

Fort Clark Springs
                          Last edited by WildThings; 09-18-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                            Brackettville is the closest place to stay. We stayed at Fort Clark Springs in one of the Old Barracks. Nothing fancy, affordable and clean

Fort Clark Springs

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X