Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple of 30-06s and a 270. If I was limited to one centerfire rifle, it would be the 30-06.

Comment

270 seems to have the perfect combination of bullet velocity and bullet weight for whitetail deer and pigs. It does come with a cost in recoil. If you go up or down in animal size, there are better choices, but 270 is a prefect deer gun.

Comment

30-06 for sure, my go to!!

Where does one buy the 55gr sabots loaded?

Comment

Sell your 30-06 and your 270 and buy a 280. All you will ever need.

Comment

A 270 is just right for whitetails, hogs, mulies, and most exotics. Considering its effectiveness and availability, why choose a newer cartridge?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              A 270 is just right for whitetails, hogs, mulies, and most exotics. Considering its effectiveness and availability, why choose a newer cartridge?
              A better question is why not?

Comment

270/3006/308 excelent choice there are lots of others /Best part ammo cheaper and avaible amost every place

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  A better question is why not?
                  I guess; they are no more effective, cost more, have less available loadings, come in less production rifles and action types, ammo cant be found anywhere that sells ammo, and probably a couple of other reasons...

Did that answer your question? :-)

In my reasoning, I lumped the 3006 in too, since it was part of the OPs topic

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                    I guess; they are no more effective, cost more, have less available loadings, come in less production rifles and action types, ammo cant be found anywhere that sells ammo, and probably a couple of other reasons...

Did that answer your question? :-)
                    If that were all true, maybe... but it ain't.
                    In fact, I'm not sure a single one of your statements is accurate. Maybe 20 years ago... but not today.

Comment

I get a kick out of the guys that are like “well if you take the best boolit in “x” gun its better than “x” gun with conventional boolits”

Well no ****

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        I get a kick out of the guys that are like “well if you take the best boolit in “x” gun its better than “x” gun with conventional boolits”

Well no ****

Sierracharlie out…
                        Not what I mean...I shoot a 120gr at 3400fps in my 280ai. A conventional would turn into a varmint round & not exit. Now I got a laser that can stay together.

My point is the bullets now are so well made that arguing the 270 is better over the 30-06 sorta becomes irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          If that were all true, maybe... but it ain't.
                          In fact, I'm not sure a single one of your statements is accurate. Maybe 20 years ago... but not today.

Name a gun provably more effective at killing at normal hunting ranges than a 3006/270

Name a cartridge chambered in more factory rifles than a 3006, other than the 308

Name a cartridge factory loaded with a more diverse array of bullets than a 3006

Name a hunting cartridge that can be found at more places world wide than a 3006

Maybe there are a few that do match price

Comment

Name a gun provably more effective at killing at normal hunting ranges than a 3006/270

Name a cartridge chambered in more factory rifles than a 3006, other than the 308

Name a cartridge factory loaded with a more diverse array of bullets than a 3006

Name a hunting cartridge that can be found at more places world wide than a 3006

7x57 might make a run at that last point.

Comment

300wm

Only thing is it costs more. I do like the 270 as a great all around

Comment

Shot 'em both for yearssssssssssssssssss and they sit in the safe for my boys now.

Don't like recoil anymore so preference for 3 different calibers not in the OP. Guess I'm not a MAN anymore like one previous response...nah, still willing and able!

Comment

Working...
                                X