New Build underway at APR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
    Just paid APR so they can get started on my build.

Chambering in 7 rSAUM, Remington short mag action. Trued up, 28” 1:8” twist Bartlein barrel. Jewel trigger. XLR element chassis. Seekins 20 MOA base. Undecided on rings. Vortex Viper PST gen II, 5-25 mil/mil scope. Undecided on bipod. Goal will be steel out to a mile. And pig control. Plan on going with Hornady 180 ELD-M loads. Hopefully I’ll find a good node around 2950. Will be mag fee out of Accurate mags. 2.94 or so OAL will be my limitation.

What rings and which bipod would you recommend?

Will be on this chassis. No more 308 with 16.5” barrel limitations. This was thanksgiving morning. Banging steel at 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have Remington 700 Ti in 7 RSAUM with a 24" barrel. What load are you going with to get that velocity out of 180 gr. pill? Just curious. The best I can get is 3050 with a 140 gr. TTSX before seeing pressure signs. I know you'll have longer barrel, but can't see it making that much difference. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

I assume you made your dummy round off of the mag length since that will be the limiting factor even though your barreled action isnt there for you to measure the chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        I have Remington 700 Ti in 7 RSAUM with a 24" barrel. What load are you going with to get that velocity out of 180 gr. pill? Just curious. The best I can get is 3050 with a 140 gr. TTSX before seeing pressure signs. I know you'll have longer barrel, but can't see it making that much difference. Maybe I'm wrong.

Lots of load data out there for 180’s going 2900-2950 out of short action. Faster on long action and seating far. But h1000 seems to be the one for long barrels. But until I start I have no real idea

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          I assume you made your dummy round off of the mag length since that will be the limiting factor even though your barreled action isnt there for you to measure the chamber?

Exactly. I wanted to see what OAL I could pull in the mag.

Comment

Exactly. I wanted to see what OAL I could pull in the mag.

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Nice!

Also need to measure a loaded neck so I can order the neck bushing for the sizing die.

Comment

It's done and getting shipped out on Tuesday. Ready to get the barreled action here and get to work on putting it together and painting, the load development.

Comment

do not hot rod the Norma brass as the primer pocket will expand rendering the brass useless. Norma is great brass but only downfall it’s soft

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    do not hot rod the Norma brass as the primer pocket will expand rendering the brass useless. Norma is great brass but only downfall it’s soft
                    I got rid the ever living hell out of my 7 Norma brass. I got lucky. It’s still good after 5 firings. I’ll go one more and ditch it anyway. What’s your expectations on brass life?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      I got rid the ever living hell out of my 7 Norma brass. I got lucky. It’s still good after 5 firings. I’ll go one more and ditch it anyway. What’s your expectations on brass life?
                      All depends on cartridge design, pressure, and how fast you want to push bullets. Brass may last 1- unknown firings. I’ve witnessed Lapua 220 Russian brass last 40 plus firings when pushing 17 caliber 20 gr bullets at 4500+ fps. Bullets often times disintegrated and blew up before reaching target, brass was perfectly fine.

I used Norma brass in my 280 AI but made sure I didn’t push extreme velocities.

Comment

Lots of load data out there for 180’s going 2900-2950 out of short action. Faster on long action and seating far. But h1000 seems to be the one for long barrels. But until I start I have no real idea
                        I'd be amazed if they are truly getting 2900 fps with 180 ELD-M, I don't think you could fit enough H-1000 to get over 2700. I just got back from shooting a 28 Nosler with 180 ELD-M and getting 3,000 fps with 76.8 H-1000 and light ejector marks on brass. They do shoot well and flat, 30 moa @ 1250 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                          I'd be amazed if they are truly getting 2900 fps with 180 ELD-M, I don't think you could fit enough H-1000 to get over 2700. I just got back from shooting a 28 Nosler with 180 ELD-M and getting 3,000 fps with 76.8 H-1000 and light ejector marks on brass. They do shoot well and flat, 30 moa @ 1250 yards.

I know it seems like a stretch but I’ve seen 3 people (not on inter web but in person) in a short action 7SAUM getting over 2875, he had the most conservative load and 24” tube. Fastest was out of a 28” tube same as mine. And he is pushing 2965 with a SD of 7 with 4831sc. Not all about case capacity, case design and other factors come in. Honestly I don’t care about the speed to a point, as long as I’m over 2800 I’ll be ecstatic. But Im really hoping I’ll be in the ballpark of 2900.

The 5/8 x 24 thread looks small. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Yeah I’m not the biggest fan but Lapua hasn’t made the move into the short mag world. I emailed them, the response was that they are getting lots of inquiries. Lots of people have been inquiring specifically about the 7mm short mags. So fingers crossed they will make it happen some day.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                              Try retumbo in that Nosler. I switched from h1000 to retumbo and saw a nice increase in my 7

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                Try retumbo in that Nosler. I switched from h1000 to retumbo and saw a nice increase in my 7

Yep^^^^^

195’s over 3,000 out of my 28 Nosler with Retumbo.

Comment

Working...
                                X