Hot windy rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot windy rut

I'm not too enthused by the forecast. We have about a week of hot windy weather coming. I was hoping to wear long pants during the rut this year. Not sure exactly when the rut will ramp up, but I do see that the predictions are for around November 4 for our friends in Oklahoma.

It doesn't matter for me. I spend a lot of money to deer hunt in Texas then go to Missouri for 10 days to hunt and miss the rut here.

Late season they start hitting food sources hard again is my favorite time anyway.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I have found that the later you wait, the harder it is to get a shot. In fact, by the end of November I seldom see a buck and I live right in the middle of them. Once the guns starts booming they seem to go nocturnal.

It seems that the feeders are being mostly utilized by the birds and raccoons at the moment. It would be nice to see a deer show up some time with in a half hour of a feeder spinning. We need a hard freeze to kill off all the green feed. Not much chance of that with all the high eighties being predicted in the forecast.

My cattle are getting fat, though.

Comment

Well the 2000 acres I hunt is archery only. The deer are pretty calm.

Comment

just get away from the feeders! they are not your friend right now. the bucks are going to rut regardless of the temp just need to find the does which will be wherever the acorns are.

Comment

The acorns are everywhere. They just roam and graze on them.

Comment

Hot weather= nocturnal

If you were wearing your winter coat to chase the ladies you would probably wait until dark too. Sure, some will still move during the day but mid 80's is tough for daytime activity.

Comment

I'd be playing the wind and getting as close to the bedding areas as possible. Most of the chasing will more than likely be at night if they are chasing in the next week. But if you are on the edge of bedding on a high traffic trail you may have a doe come out to grab a bite of acorns or something close and the bucks aren't going to be far behind them if they are in heat. Or sitting fairly close to bedding and a water source could produce especially if they are chasing all night, and it's warm during the day. Just my thought process.

I'll be making a 5 day, hopefully, rut trip starting on 11/11 and making all day sits. I see the temp starts to drop right before that, so I'm hoping that temp trend continues to drop.

Comment

I don't have acorns to worry about here. The fawns are coming into the feeders and the mommas are hanging around close to watch them. The bucks come to check out the mommas but don't come close to the blind. I probably will sit on a trail or still hunt during the cool of the day and sit in a blind in the evening. We are killing so many rattlesnakes this year that I don't want to be walking around when it is ninety degrees outside.

Comment

Should be real foggy this weekend in N.E. TX.

Comment

Well I just found out a structure due to be in next week is pushed out a week so I guess Missouri is not happening.

What was that Randy was saying . . .

Comment

Work sucks

Comment

Just did my first sit ever wearing shorts, sandals, and a short sleeve shirt in November.
                          The moon was bright enough to hunt all night if I wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                            Just did my first sit ever wearing shorts, sandals, and a short sleeve shirt in November.
                            The moon was bright enough to hunt all night if I wanted to.
                            Are you in east Texas? That’s perfectly acceptable there.

Comment

On a positive note it's a well paying week of work so . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X