Home Made First Aid Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made First Aid Kits

So with season getting close and many of us hitting the back country for elk hunts soon figured might be a good idea to start making a first aid kit to carry around. Figure I could make a better one cheaper than the little junk prepackaged ones, so here I am?

If you were making a purely medical first aid kit for Home, Auto, Hunting, and remote backpacking(think small and compact) how would you folks stuff it and what would yall consider essentials? We keep the general first aid stuff around the house, band aids, ice pack, neosporin etc. But what other stuff should I look to add for true emergencies? I usually do an excellent job of keeping all the essentials around in the car, atv etc for a mechanical issue but really haven't ever made anything for if I hurt myself, but with an 8 month old baby at home really thinking more and more that should be part of my stuff as well.

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for something for the pack where oz matter or a base camp kit? If it is for the backpack I would get a prepackaged kit like this.

I would get the .7 version. 8oz weight
    Last edited by thegrouse; 08-27-2020, 03:08 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

I have a IFAK pack that I loaded with my own supplies. Added quickclot and a tourniquet among other things. Also put one together with an ammo can that stays in my truck.

Comment

My truck has one from work that was bought at one of the industrial safety supply places and it’s was surprisingly well stocked. I’ve used it a ton of times, bandages, band aids, eye wash, etc... It’s fairly big so I usually have it with me at the deer lease, and could take it to the boat, but not practical elsewhere.

My daughter played travel softball for awhile and I could probably stock up a decent first aid kit from just going through her bat bag and my back pack. I usually had small bottles of ibuprofen and Tylenol that I refilled off the bigger bottles from the house.

I need a smaller kit to take in my hunting pack.

Comment

Home Made First Aid Kits

Tourniquet

Quick clot

I carry an Israeli bandage
          And something to use as a wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by basskicker24; 08-27-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I have what I call a possibles pouch that never leaves my pack. It includes my first aid kit, para chord, extra headlamp, archery tool kit and a tyto knife with a couple of blades.

That said my first aid kit is super minimal. Super glue, leuko tape, some bandages, a few pain pills and I think I have some of that combat clotting stuff. If you can’t fix it with super glue, Leuko tape and para chord you need to get your butt off the mountain.

Comment

Quickclot and tourniquet are good ideas in hunting situations.

Comment

I second the quickclot and tourniquet and i also buy the antiseptic wipes. I got some Osprey ultralight bright orange pouches off of amazon as well aseverything else in bulk off of amazon and made up 4 separate small first aid kits, one for each vehicle and the last one stays with my hunting pack.

Kind of a necessity when raising 3 boys.

Comment

I always have one of these in my truck

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQY1G61..._JscsFb7816VSE

I always have one of these in my truck
                    Just in case you're hunting partner bumps you with a broadhead during a stalk
                    Attached Files

Comment

For bleeding & cleansing, I always carry Afrin nasal spray bc it’s a vasoconstrictor & can be used to spray wash out dirty wounds

Plus it’s readily available & inexpensive

Be safe out there this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        For bleeding & cleansing, I always carry Afrin nasal spray bc it’s a vasoconstrictor & can be used to spray wash out dirty wounds

Plus it’s readily available & inexpensive

Be safe out there this fall!

Cool tip. In for others I need to put a lot together.

Comment

Don’t cringe, but I keep a couple of maxi-pads (yes, the feminine hygiene kind) in all my first aid kits. They’re great for dressing serious gashes/wounds; they absorb a lot of blood, they’re better at stemming to flow of blood—particularly for large cuts/gashes—than regular bandages, and they encourage clotting. They have other uses, too such as soaking up spills and they also make great fire-starts.

I know...go ahead and laugh, but they’re inexpensive and readily available so, why not?

Comment

I keep hibiclens in the boat kit since I fish saltwater.

Along the maxi-pad line I had a friend that recommended keeping tampons in a first aid kit in the back country for puncture wounds.

Comment

Not so much for a normal hunt in Central Texas, but for you guys that do the back country hunts in the mountains or in the middle of nowhere, some sort of strobe or IR beacon to carry on your pack. If something were to happen you could turn it on and a medical chopper would be able to pick you up even in thick brush.

Comment

Working...
                              X