No announcement yet.

Best Pellet Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have really enjoyed our Rectec. Works excellent, love the BT.
    My wife does as much cooking on it as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
      That sucks. On overnight cooks I always have a wireless thermometer set to alarm if the temp drops below a set point. If he doesn't have one maybe another good gift idea for the future.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      That's a great idea! Thanks!

Comment

I think this post should have been titled best pellet smoker for the money, some of these smokers cost a lot more than others, they will all do about the same on cooking, some will last a lot longer than others.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look awesome. I’m gonna do some teal this weekend. What temperature did you smoke them at?

Comment

I have the Recteq 590 and have been thoroughly impressed. I’ve had it for a month and everything has come out great. I put a brisket on at midnight at 250 degrees. I set the meat thermometer for 160 and went to bed. Alarm went off I got up and wrapped it and went back to bed. I pulled it off at 10am and cut it at noon. Very happy with results. I checked the temperature graph. I was impressed that grill hit 250 and never fluctuated one degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
              Those look awesome. I’m gonna do some teal this weekend. What temperature did you smoke them at?

250. Left them on for about 1:45-2 hours

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                I think this post should have been titled best pellet smoker for the money, some of these smokers cost a lot more than others, they will all do about the same on cooking, some will last a lot longer than others.

^^^

Comment

FWIW a buddy of mine told me the wal marks by him had some pit boss pellet grills for 150.00. Ive been wanting another and was going to take my camp chef to the lake and get a new one for the house. Wanted rectec but looks like it will be pit boss

Comment

Cook details please. Time, temp, etc. Looks awesome!!
                    I don't know how he cooks his brisket on the Rec Teq but I cook mine at 225 degrees until the temp hits 163 internally then I wrap in pink butcher paper and cook until the internal temp gets to 203. Let it sit for an hour unwrapped and have at it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tpack was kind enough to call me and talk about his Rec Tec. This is the way I'll be going.

Comment

I had the same dilemma about 6 weeks ago. Narrowed it down to RecTec and Pitts and Spitts. I ultimately went with Pitts and Spitts because they are Texas made and the best built in my opinion. I think they are both nice machines!

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                          250. Left them on for about 1:45-2 hours

Thanks!

Comment

I watched a video yesterday of a Pitts and Spitts pellet grill and it pretty much had continuous smoke coming from the stack. Does the RecTec do this? I have a camp chef and it doesn’t produce near that much.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              As a pit builder, the only other pellet smoker I'd buy would be a Yoder. Like mine, they are built to last.
                              Are you building Pitts and Spitts?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                                I odered the Recteq over the weekend. I slappaed brisket on Friday night at midnight and sure enough temp was down to 111 around 2 am. I had to sit up and baby sit that brisket all night. I had enough and ordered the new grill Saturday. If it gets here and I am not impressed with the build quality I will send it back and look at Pitts and Spits. From what I have read online, and here, I will be good. Given the warranty seems like a win-win while saving a bit.

I will give Pit-Boss a call to see if they can help me troubleshoot this current grill. I know several people with Pit-Boss and they are not having the same issues I am seeing so hopefully they will step up and fix it. I will report back on how the support is.

Right now I plan to keep both. However, if I can get this Pit-Boss fixed I will likely sell it as I got the searing grates for the Recteq so that covers the only reason I was going to keep the Pit-Boss.
                                I can tell you all this; support from pitboss has to be the worst in the industry. The girl that called me back after 4 hours of waiting suggesting that I should be going out hourly to 'shake' the hopper to make sure it does not flame out. When I told her that was 'simply silly' she got an attitude and went on about how I should be checking that much as I have a grill close to my house. I ended the call as I realized I was talking to someone that had no idea about smoking brisket and did not really care. If you have a pitboss you are on your own.

Since I can't in good concious sell this smoker to anyone else I will keep it for steaks and such.

Comment

Working...
                                X