Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal roof on new home

I am planning a house in brown county
    Metal roof over 3100’ slab. 10’ porch. One story, simple low pitch roof.
    I have read the re-roofing thread, but wondered about you guys that have built new homes
    Not sure where to start, but I want the builders to all bid the same roof, AC, and windows.

Thank you for your advice and comments

Big pig

What do you want to know?

Comment

I have some disagree with me, but one thing I would make sure happens if you go this route is to make sure you use good decking. Back when I was a consultant for Mueller I got a ton of calls about leaks and loose sheets and just about every time is was due to the house having osb/wafer board as decking. Screws strip this wood away and if it ever gets damp the problem is multiplied

Comment

Final plans headed to builder this week after a long pause after Harvey. Looking for the best roof for the bucks.
        What thickness for my retirement home and what finishes/coatings?
        Looking at “sandy” color FWIW.
        More concerned about quality and durability than anything else.
        Thanks for advice and experience with your build.

Comment

Standing seam beats the panels with screws, but costs more.

Comment

Standing seam more durable / dependable or just better to look at?
            Going to get the better paint.
            So what do you guys do instead of gutters on the long porch sides.
            Gravel beds ?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              Standing seam more durable / dependable or just better to look at?
              Going to get the better paint.
              So what do you guys do instead of gutters on the long porch sides.
              Gravel beds ?

BP
              More dependable, on the panels, every screw hole is a place that could leak. I have looked at the paints and "I" think the galvalume is better than the paint, the paints will fade sooner or later. Will you be in an area with hail? It might dent but will the paint stay put. Just my .02
              Run off will always be a problem, I like gravel or river rock along where the roof ends. Have been trying to plan a metal building for my place in the hill country. If you get gutters, get the oversize ones if possible. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Last home we did 24 gauge galvalume double roll lock standing seam. Water impervious at 0/12 pitch and has to be major hail to dent. It was and still is a lifetime roof.

Comment

Thanks. Hate to spend the extra money for standing seam, but it appears the way to go for lifetime roof.
                  I need to look at more photos with and without gutters. I might decide to build a rainwater tank for the yard trees and plants.

BP

Comment

I agree with standing seam being the way to go. Hidden fasteners are less likely to leak. I'd consider a Zip sheathing for the roof or some type of water system, then use a regular synthetic or peel and stick underlayment. If you are planning on foaming, its much better to take the extra steps to make sure there is no water leak to damage the OSB.

Comment

Comment was made about screws stripping out or backing out over time with OSB. This is usually when using 15/16. 5/8 sheathing even if OSB helps reduce if not illuminate most of the issue when using good fasteners and widely used. 3/4" would be best for screws but weighs a considerable amount more per sheet. If you considering the cost of ZIP on a roof, might as well go with straight plywood which would be the best of all choices but usually cost prohibitive.

Comment

I looked hard a standing seam. My roof(3300sq ft) had a few peaks and valleys so R panel still looks good(i think). Yes standing seam would be better but for the cost, I went with R panel. I can get someone to caulk or replace the screws cheaper than the additional cost.

Use a synthetic underlayment.

I love how ours turned out.

Comment

Working...
                        X